Which is the most festive King’s campus?

It’s definitely not Waterloo

For our last few days before the end of term we’ve been treated to plenty of Christmas cheer from all the King’s campuses: from a merry meal selection at the Maughan to an abundance of Christmas trees.

But which campus boasts the most holiday cheer?

The Strand

As the oldest of the campuses, The Strand is probably the most recognizable.

For the holidays, the Strand is buzzing with beautiful choir music from the chapel, the scent of mocha and red-velvet cake from the food court, and, of course, the decorations.

The Cafeteria at Strand Campus

The campus has quite a few Christmas trees fluttered around, but there aren’t other decorations.  Where are the tinsels, mistletoe and menorahs?

If someone was to walk into the campus from the street entrance, they would be hard-pressed to distinguish this month from any other in the year.

Still, the the choiring from the chapel adds a dimension not to be overlooked – having a background of Christmas songs can’t help but put you in the festive spirit.

The Strand has the bonus points of being so close Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square and other landmarks that are beautifully decorated.

Maybe most importantly, it’s also right next to the famous Somerset House ice rink and you can even get a student discount. So festive.

Waterloo Campus

Waterloo campus is, at first glance, disappointing. Unfortunately it doesn’t improve.

It doesn’t seem to have the sense of “holidays are in the air” that the other two campuses have, and that can be proven by these being the only decorations visible to the naked eye: three solitary Christmas trees.

By the reception

The Cafeteria on the bottom floor

The James Clerk Maxwell Building Reception

There are so many more Christmas themed avenues to explore, but Waterloo seems to have stopped at the classic trees.

Still, if you’re based at Waterloo and want to see some Christmas cheer, look no further than the Southbank Christmas Market, where you can find Christmas cheer from mulled wine to books to little candles in tea-cups.

Guy’s Campus 

Approaching this campus truly makes you feel like Christmas is in the air.  The architecture alone lends itself to have a very cozy feeling when traversing through the quad.

It makes you want to grab a hot chocolate and soak in the atmosphere.

The Reception of the New Hunt’s House

The Chapel Entrance

The chapel has everything from wreaths hanging and illuminating ornaments to music coming from inside.

It is the perfect hideaway if you want to be immersed in a Christmas world, complete with candles, holly and an abundance of tinsel.

The Chapel Entrance

That’s not to mention that Guy’s is a three minute walk from Borough Market which not only has food from all over the world, but also has ornaments, lights, and decorations that will surely put you in the holiday spirit.

So which campus is most prepared for long winter nights cozying up by the fire while carolers sing in the yard?

After careful consideration, the winner seems to be Guy’s Campus: not only does it boast and very impressive number of Christmas trees, but also other ornaments and plenty of tinsel to prove its holiday joy.

Second to Guy’s, the Strand is also ready for the holidays, at least more so than Waterloo.  The Chapel at the Strand also boasts good Christmas music, which is something that the Waterloo Campus lacked.

Waterloo: try harder next year.