Economics exam held without enough lighting or paper and no desks to write on

Students were forced to balance their calculators on their knees

economics exam KCL kings college lecture mess politics shambles students study

As if spending an hour solving equations isn’t hard enough, Political Economy second years found themselves having to sit an exam in the dark this week.

Over 100 Econometrics students were forced to cram into the Stamford Street lecture theatre’s tiny corridor for 45 minutes after the scheduled start time, before being greeted by examiners who announced: “You have three sections to answer but only two sheets of paper.

“We don’t have any more so cram it in as best as you can.”

Even if students were able to squish their answers in, the wobbly, fold-out writing surfaces left them balancing question sheets and calculators on their knees – and proved a real challenge for left-handed candidates.

Meanwhile, a distinct lack of lighting made the room as dark and gloomy as the students’ academic futures.

When students attempted to complain about the pitiful exam conditions, the invigilators reportedly threatened to shorten the allocated time for the test.

When questioned about the exam room disaster, a teaching assistant on the course responded: “I’ve heard about it, but I can’t do much to help. Maybe email the department. I don’t know.”

Tiffany, one of the students sitting the test, said: “It was a fucking joke.”

In a statement issued by the Department of Political Economy, they said: “In acknowledgment of the problems that occurred on Tuesday, and in response to your feedback, we would like to offer all Econometrics students an opportunity to re-sit a replacement exam, should they wish to do so.

“Once again, our apologies for any distress and upset this problem may have caused.”

The uni have been contacted for comment.