Teen Tatler guide to King’s is all wrong

They couldn’t have been more far off

Teen Tatler’s guide to KCL will only serve to dissuade people from coming here. But then again do we really want mini Tatler readers?

Before getting into the misinformed and banal opinions in the Teen Tatler piece, a workshop on basic fact checking wouldn’t go amiss for the journalists at Teen Tatler. King’s top subject is actually Food Science, if the league tables are to be believed, not law, medicine or English lit.

The boring and unimaginative category of doss subject is unceremoniously dumped on philosophy, a course which is ranked 5th in the country and 27th worldwide.

Now, philosophy may not have the career prospects that, say, medicine does, but for a course which is ranked 7th in the country for employability, I would say the Teen Tatler team need to reassess what poor employment prospects mean.

Absolute crap

After all, King’s Business Studies employability is ranked 18th in the country for courses of its kind. Not that any of that matters, because education is about more than finding a job.

They said: “At most unis your friends live two streets away; in London you’re lucky if they’re in the same postcode.” While this is true, it is also irrelevant, as London’s excellent transport links allow you to be pretty much anywhere central within half an hour.

The only way to take the tube

As for the baseless assertion that “there’s no real sense of campus community at King’s,” the journalist who wrote the article clearly hasn’t spend much time around Strand or any of the other campuses for that matter.

We may not have the close-knit geography of  St. Andrews or Durham, but you merely have to walk into the Waterfront (which apparently we don’t go to after freshers week), Walkabout or any of the numerous societal meet-ups to see the booming social scene at King’s.

The author of the article then talks about the social skills of maths and physics students, but I really want to catch up on Bake Off, so I won’t bother writing a coherent response to hackneyed unoriginal jokes which we would have found funny in year 10.

The article also features a number of alumni, with Thomas Hardy being given precedence over Peter Higgs or Desmond Tutu. I guess focusing on a “shy” scientist or Nobel Peace Prize winner would be too much of an ask for the people over at Tatler. With two thirds of their choices covering the same literary field, I guess diversity isn’t top on the list of the articles priorities.

Just Katherine Grainger then…