KCL campaigners team up to tackle lad culture

It Stops Here campaign pledges to fight sexual harassment and sexual assault

crime feminism femsoc ifemsoc it stops here KCL KCLSU lad culture sexism sexual assault

King’s College London and KCLSU are teaming up to raise awareness about lad culture on campus.

The new campaign, It Stops Here, also aims to highlight the resources available to those who have experienced sexual assault.

The ongoing issue of sexual assault on campuses all over the UK has received increasing attention recently, with Bristol introducing a compulsary consent quiz for incoming freshers.

Members of the It Stops Here team at the Freshers’ Fair

Now King’s students and members of KCLSU have decided to collaborate and tackle the problem directly – as “more than a third of women have suffered unwelcome advances in the form of groping and touching”.

Hareem Ghani, working alongside KCLSU’s Rachel Williams, told us It Stops Here is pushing forward with three goals. She said: “[We’re] improving the reporting procedures, creating a zero tolerance culture and raising awareness of what sexual harassment is and how it can impact victims.”

KCLSU president Nadine Almanasfi has promised to fight sexual assault and lad culture on campus

Support and involvement in It Stops Here also comes from Travis Alabanza, LGBT+ President, and Sophie-Marie Neal, iFemSoc President – both of whom have said the elimination of campus sexual harassment is a prime concern.

The campaign has been officially endorsed by numerous GKT sports teams, the Medical Students Association, the King’s Chaplaincy, the Intersectional Feminism Society – and The Tab King’s.

The campaign welcomes any manner of support, especially from individuals taking their own pledges via their website to raise awareness and support victims.

The Tab King’s editors sign the pledge at the Fresher’s Fair

For those who want a more hands on experience or to learn more about the campaign, It Stops Here is offering a number of events over the next few weeks – from an open air screening of “Speak” at Guy’s campus on the 29th of September, to a Survivors of Sexual Assault discussion panel on the 6th of October.

For victims of sexual assault, or if you have any concerns about the safety or behaviour of another student, it is always possible to speak to a member of staff, submit a report through the It Stops Here campaign website or get in contact with a KCL welfare officer for advice and support.

You can sign the campaign’s pledge here.