King’s move up two places in prestigious uni rankings

KCL takes two steps forwards, UCL takes one step back

The most reliable UK uni rankings came out this morning and King’s are ranked in 27th place.

We’ve jumped up two places from 29th to 27th with an overall score of 699/1000, reversing last year’s dismal show.

While this isn’t the most radical step-up for KCL, it’s still a promising move forward.

The Times and Sunday Times 2016 Good University Guide is based on 8 criteria: entry standards, student satisfaction, research quality, staff/student ratio, graduate prospect, facility spend, completion rate, and % of students graduating with a first class degree.

Even though uni rankings lean towards being no more than just educated generalisations of what university is great, good, mediocre or bad, they are nonetheless a valuable piece of information for the aspiring uni applicant to take into consideration.

Not quite at old Cam’s standard

Rivals UCL fell from 9th place to 10th, usurped by our Kingsway rivals, LSE. Other London unis such as Royal Holloway found themselves falling behind: going down two places from 34 to 36.

The biggest move-up for KCL in this round of  rankings was in its graduate prospects, going from a score of 80.1 last year, to 85.7, beating UCL’s score of 83.1.

Student Satisfaction grade, known by most KCL students to be ‘shit,’ improved, but only by a sliver: climbing from a low-score of 78.7 in 2015 (coming 111/123 in the National Student Survey), to a slightly-less-lower score of 79.7 this year.

Kings’ student contentment has been hopping up and diving down like a roller for years, going back to at least 2008.

A good chunk of the student satisfaction, which is keeping KCL from entering the blissful world of UK’s Top 20 Universities, is measured by looking at student costs.
According to one King’s College student, fourth-year Jack Smith, this “brings down KCL’s student satisfaction score every fucking year, without totally belonging in that category anyways. It doesn’t do the university justice.”

Some students took the news harder than others

Despite dropping from 16th in University World Rankings to 19th this year, edging perilously close to ‘the dark side beyond 20’, this tiny come-back in the UK University charts shows that the academic quality of Kings is still strong.
It’s strange, however, that as a University we rank higher in international rankings than we do national ones, especially considering American Universities make up about 50% of the top 20 every year and the UK only about one quarter.
Let’s hope that this year’s improved student satisfaction and graduate prospects percentages, aren’t just another hop before the fall ,but a determined step towards one day destroying the University of Glasgow, Nottingham, Newcastle, and fucking Kent.