Former ‘My Family’ star quits acting for KCL degree

‘I wanted to do something useful’

gabriel thomson KCL king's college london my family

A former child star has abandoned his career in television to pursue his dream of becoming a human rights barrister.

28-year-old Gabriel Thomson, who played Michael Harper in the hit BBC sitcom My Family, is going to join thousands of other freshers this September.

His successful television career meant he never studied for A Levels, but now –– having completed an Access to Higher Education Diploma and City and Islington College –– Gabriel is ready to follow his dream of working in law.

But as he is going to study Philosophy, he’ll still have to do a post grad course if he hopes to sit in court.

Gabriel was in My Family when he was younger

Speaking to The Islington Gazette, Gabriel said: “I got to the point in my life where I wanted to do something useful.

“Making people laugh is important, but I wanted to pursue a career which makes a difference and to transfer my acting skills into performance in the court room.

“I thought I would do a degree in Law but my teachers have really fuelled my passion for philosophy.”

This isn’t the first time the budding barrister has had a run in with the law.

In 2008, Gabriel’s hard-partying reputation landed him a police caution after he was caught with a small amounts of cannabis and cocaine.

Speaking to The Tab, KCL second year Pavan Samrai said: “I used to watch My Family when I was younger. It’d be so funny to see him in Walkabout with all the freshers.

“Becoming a human rights lawyer is very different to acting, so it’s pretty random but really cool he’s coming to King’s.”