Protesters gather outside the Royal Courts to support LGBT asylum seeker

Aderonke Apata will face persecution for her sexuality in Nigeria

aderonke apata asylum human rights lgbt lgbt rights

Activists gathered outside the Royal Courts of Justice yesterday to protest a lesbian refugee’s right to remain in the UK.

Aderonke Apata, 47, faces deportation back to Nigeria – where she will face persecution for her sexuality – if she does not win her case today in the High Court.

The preparations begin.

“Ade must stayyyyyy!!!”

Swarms of brightly coloured protesters gathered outside the Courts – with rainbow flags and placards – singing on Aderonke’s behalf.

One campaigner, Lisa Matthews, 42, works for human rights organisation Right to Remain. She said: “We’ve been supporting Aderonke right through her asylum case. It’s just brilliant. There’s so many people – from Glasgow, Manchester, Wales – all singing songs of solidarity.”

“The case is so important because Aderonke will face persecution if sent back to Nigeria – and she’s such an amazing LGBT rights campaigner. She’s fighting, not just for herself, but also for others.”

You go girl!

Students were also among the protesters. Daniel, 24, from SOAS, said: “Aderonke’s case cuts across so many lines – LGBTS rights and also the lack of support for asylum seekers in the UK government and governments across the world.”

The case is expected to last all day.

@ella_braidwood