Best places to blow your student budget

Because money is best spent on food

Whether it’s a date, a catch up or you’re just really bloody hungry, here’s the food that makes the sky-high rent worth it.

1. Patty & Bun

It’s official: London is the home of the best burger in the world. At Patty & Bun (found on Liverpool Street and James Street), you’re gonna eat the most delicious and satisfying burger of your life. The Ari Gold is a solid winner and is only £7.50 but all their burgers come up top and you’ll wonder why you ever bothered with the likes of GBK and Byron again. Don’t forget the rosemary fries though!

2. Duck & Waffle

Feeling a fancy meal with an incredible view at 3am? Easy! Duck & Waffle is on the top floor of the Heron Tower (the 3rd tallest building in London) and is open 24/7. Yep, you heard right. As long as you look sharp, you can have their renowned duck and waffle for £17 at any time of day. The food is delicious but it’s worth it alone just for that view. Cityscape at its best.

3. Selfridges’ personalised food 

What’s better than food? Food with your name on it. And who wouldn’t want to make their own magnum for £3? It’s hard to believe that sophisticated Londoners would get excited over something like this, but London is just full of big kids and even the grown up business people need to chill occasionally.

4. Sticks ‘n’ Sushi

The picture is legit: Sticks ‘n’ Sushi actually serves this and it’s all yummy goodness. Never a prettier sight. It’s not very budget friendly, but go in a big group and share and you can get a fair amount of sticks and rolls for £20.

5. East London’s food markets

Exmouth Market and Brick Lane are where it’s at. Shoreditch is a regular for holding food markets and festivals showcasing all of the diversity London has to offer. Curries, kofte, noodles: you name it, they have the best version of it. You won’t have to pay over a fiver.

6. My Old Dutch

This pancake house is only a short walk from the Strand Campus and it offers both sweet and savoury pancakes. It’s perfect for a post-9am pick me up, and if you go on a Monday, it’s £5 for anything on the menu. Sweet bargain!

7. Natural Kitchen

Gone are the days that healthy means salad with a side of mineral water. Head to the Natural Kitchen (just off Fetter Lane) after 2pm and get a half price salad. That means for around £4, you can get a chicken breast, quiche slice or salmon fillet PLUS three types of salad, including a pesto pasta option.

8. London’s best pizza

Stop bothering with Pizza Express: you’re in London. Princi in Soho and Franco Manca (Tottenham Court Road or Brixton Market) offer gourmet pizzas under £10, fresh and fully Italian-style. Why would you go elsewhere?

9. Top ramen 

If you’re a noodle fan, look no further than Shoryu, a Japanese restaurant on Regent Street, Carnaby Street and in Soho. I love Wagamama, but since it’s the same price-ish, you may as well try something new. Ranging in price from £9-11, it’s ideal for a yummy taste of something different.

10. Burger & Lobster

Burger? Lobster? Both? At Burger & Lobster, you can get either a burger or a lobster for £20. I would highly recommend the lobster, as there are better burgers for a cheaper price. Alternatively, you can ‘surf & turf’ and get both for £30, either for yourself or to share. Enjoy!

11. Borough Market

As I’m sure every Londoner already knows, the place to find oysters, smoothies, good cheese and more is Borough Market, just round the corner from Guy’s Campus. Market prices means student prices, so hello paella for £3.50! Drop by near closing time to get the real bargains, although you won’t be able to be fussy, as this once hidden gem is now a popular lunch spot.

12.The Big Easy 

Fancy lunch on King’s Road? Now you can! The Big Easy crab shack has offers every day such as all-you-can-eat fajitas plus a beer or frozen Margarita for £18.95! They will literally bring you huuuuuuuuuge plates of shrimp, steak and chicken, as well as another full of veg, salsa, sour cream and cheese. Limitless. It’s the same price for all-you-can-eat shrimp, steak and lobster and unlimited BBQ. Also at Covent Garden now.