David Willetts: He fleeced you for £27k and now he’s telling you what to do

He’s going to be lecturing on public policy

First he charged you £27k for your degree –  and now David Willetts has been appointed as a Visting Professor at KCL. 

Today it was announced that the Rt Hon David Willets MP, has been appointed as a visiting professor at King’s College London in the Faculty of Social Sciences and Public Policy.

This is the face of the man who’s charging you £9k a year

Willets has gone from cutting university funding and putting students in life long debt, to teaching them about policy.

The announcement has sent shockwaves through the student body, as the former Minister for Universities, who oversaw and staunchly defended the trebling of tuition fees and cuts to higher education, will be taking up a teaching role in the School of Social Sciences and Public Policy.

KCL Principal, Ed Bryne, said: “I personally greatly value Mr Willetts’ insights on current and future strategic opportunities and challenges and how best to position King’s in the evolving higher education environment”.

The appointment of the former minister, whose intellectual prowess in government earned him the nickname “two brains”, has drawn criticism from Sebastiaan Debrouwere, president of KCLSU. He said: “There is an inconsistency between recent King’s policy and comments in response to Higher Education reform and this appointment.”

He also Tweeted.

https://twitter.com/KCLSU_Seb/status/524517372309553152

As the news spreads, students are none the happier – 3rd year English student Blaise Simpkin said ‘I’m really pleased by the appointment. I think it will be exciting to see how a man with absolutely no empathy for students whatsoever will cope in a university environment. My money’s on him going crazy like Miss Trunchbull at the end of Matilda’

The KCLSU President is scheduled to meet with the KCL Principal Ed Bryne later today to discuss the appointment.