Stop funding oil companies, protesters tell KCL

1182 people signed a petition

Concerned students are currently protesting outside the James Clerk Maxwell building as part of the Fossil Free KCL campaign.

This afternoon campaigners delivered their petition, which has 1182 signatures, to KCL Principal Ed Byrne. The petition is calling for total divestment from the fossil fuel industry.

As of August 2013, King’s investment portfolio included £8 million of investments in fossil fuel companies, including Shell, Exxon Mobil and Rio Tinto.

The protest follows an identical campaign at Glasgow University, which made national headlines as the university agreed to cut its £18 million investments. There are around 50 other campaigns at universities nationwide.

Protestors outside the James Clerk Maxwell building

Protestor Justin Fisher, a postgraduate student, told The Tab:  “I believe King’s should be a leader on this affair, and whilst it has missed that opportunity because of Glasgow, it could still help lead the way,”

“There have been comparisons made of portfolios with and without the investments, and there shouldn’t be any shortfall in funding for King’s which would affect students.”

Five protestors are currently meeting with the Vice Principal. More to follow.