The DOs and DON’Ts you need for Fresher’s week

Don’t worry – The Tab’s here to help

Freshers, your first month at uni is about making friends. Here are a couple of Dos and Don’ts to help make sure that you’re the one everyone in your halls is talking about…in the good way.

DO: Be friendly. It sounds obvious but a lot of people are hit with a severe case of shyness when they rock up to halls and this is really not the time to turn into a shaky mumbler who says ‘ummm’ before their own name when introducing themselves. Dig down and find some confidence!

Try not be the one in your flat who ALWAYS has to be carried home

DON’T: Try to be cool. Nobody will like you! Don’t act like you’re above the cheesey freshers events, the point is to get to know each other! Act this way and you will end up surrounded by other pretentious pretenders and you’ll regret not just having fun with everyone else.

DO: Have a Facebook spring-clean. Bury those old school snaps beneath the summer festival ones. Instant rejection that awaits those who haven’t updated their profile picture since they were 14.

DON’T: Be the one to to send a friend request to EVERYONE YOU EVER MEET EVER. I said be friendly and by all means please be keen, but don’t be desperate.

DO: Go to the aforementioned cheesey events!

The inevitable fresher’s toga party…

DON’T: Feel like you have to go to all of them. Attempting to do this will result in a you blowing through alllll your money and getting a premature and near-fatal case of freshers flu which will have you missing out on any fun for weeks afterwards.

having said that…you can’t miss walkies…

DO: Learn to laugh at yourself. You WILL do something stupid and people WILL tease you for it. So be the kind of person who laughs it off and then takes their turn to playfully bully others.

DON’T: Take offence at the banter. It’s boring and self entitled!

Funneling in the middle of the day is acceptable in fresher’s week

DO: Let your ‘rents know you’re getting on alright. Seriously, they’re probably worried and a quick text will make you all feel better!

DON’T: Be on the phone to your family OR your friends back home right away. Embrace your new surroundings, if you’re on the phone you’re not paying attention to the potential friends all around you

That’s allll it takes, guys.

DO: Figure out where uni is and your quickest/cheapest way to get there. This is something you can do hungover and will help you in the long run.

DON’T: Go to the library and start checking out your readings ahead of time…it’s pointless as you’ll be too hungover to do any of it anyway and if you do you’ll be an annoying know-it-all. All in good time guys: you’ll be at the library soon enough.

BASICALLY: Have fun and be yourself, you’re going to meet some great people.