British Jihadists tell KCL professor they want to come home

Brit Jihadis contact King’s professor to express regret.

The Islamic State militants have contacted the professor via social media to show remorse at ever taking part in the extreme violence.

Professor Peter Neumann, who works in KCL’s War Studies department, told the Times that he believes up to a fifth of UK-born jihadists could be trying to find a way out of the Middle East.

The group of fighters, thought to be made up of around 30 men, reported that they have become ‘disillusioned’ with Islamic State’s cause, and have only stayed because they feel ‘trapped’ by the prospect of the massive punishments they may face in Britain.

Prof Neumann (image via)

In a shocking statement, one British man told King’s researchers: ‘The truth is, many people left to help the Syrian people, then we got labelled as terrorists… now people want to come back, not to attack but because they found out jihad is not what they thought. Muslims are fighting Muslims, I didn’t come for that.’

In light of these unexpected revelations, Prof Neumann has called for the government to implement a ‘deradicalisation programme’.

He hopes that such a strategy could help former jihadists show potential militants that Islamic State’s terrifying propaganda does not match the ‘reality of the battle’.