Why you should stand against BDS

With the BDS vote fast approaching, the KCL Israel Society tell you why you should vote against it

1543793_10152266178421049_206532528_n

1) This is a completely illiberal motion that shuts down freedom of expression

By endorsing a complete academic and cultural boycott, you are curtailing the right of individuals to exchange culture and knowledge. Despite the claims of solely targeting ‘institutions,’ we must not take for granted that these are discriminatory measures which only isolate those elements of Israeli society most supportive of peace.

More importantly, we should be absolutely appalled by the thought our university – let alone any university – a centre of learning and the pursuit of truth, could be called upon to ban cooperation with universities and cultural groups of another county.

This is an outrageous assault on intellectual and academic freedom.

2) Passing this motion could align our Union with a terrorist organisation

Before it was removed, Clause 5 of the motion sought to affiliate KCLSU with the BDS National Committee. The BDS national committee includes the Council of National and Islamic Forces in Palestine.  It is a terrorist organisation facilitating attacks against civilian targets in Israel through its allies, Hamas and Islamic Jihad. Its leader Marwan Barghouti is in jail for several counts of murder.

The proposers of this motion have tried to excuse this deplorable fact. They claim that this group is only a minor partner in what is otherwise a broad umbrella organisation.

We’re  sorry. But we would rather our University not even have a ‘minor’ association with terror against innocent civilians. As the motion stands, it still stipulates that our Union should work with BDS in ‘any form.’

The fact they have removed the original clause out proves they recognise the inherently grotesque nature of the BDS movement. Nothing can hide this fact.

3) The BDS calls for a one-state solution and has repeatedly called for the destruction of the Israeli state

The most prominent supporters of the BDS movement have repeatedly voiced their desire to destroy the State of Israel. Take this statement by As’ad AbuKhalil, Professor at California State University Stanislaus. In 2012, he wrote in an Arabic newspaper that ‘the real aim of BDS is to bring down the state of Israel.’

We need only look at what the movement’s founder, Omar Barghouti, has declared in many public lectures.

The two-state solution is the accepted goal for all reasonable moderates regarding the Israeli-Palestine conflict. The BDS movement is out on the fringe.

For our Union to align itself with a movement that adopts a political position which would entail the destruction of another country (whose nationals they are meant to represent), would be very disturbing.

4) This Motion is discriminatory – and isolates both Israeli and JEWISH students

As Union of Jewish Students representative Jonathan Hunter has noted, a motion to boycott Israel effectively tells Israeli students and faculty that they are not welcome at KCL, simply because of their nationality. It creates a poisonous and divisive atmosphere, which can make Jewish students in particular feel very uncomfortable.

As the KCL Israel Society, we are particularly concerned that the legal rights of Israeli students are threatened by this proposed action. Boycotts set a dangerous precedent. At Warwick and Oxford Universities, independent tribunals have proven discrimination against Israeli graduate students. The motion’s proposers should be wary of the path they take.

5) The Palestinian people do not endorse the BDS Movement

It should be noted that Palestinian Authority President Mahmood Abbas, has publicly declared that ‘we don’t ask anyone to boycott Israel itself. We have relations with Israel, we have mutual recognition of Israel.’

That is why Mustafa Barghouti, the most influential Palestinian politician aligned with the movement, received only 2.7% of the vote in the last election administered by the PA. The Palestinian people are clearly not in favour of the boycott.

As Darren Cohen has stated, ‘stop trying to be more Palestinian than the Palestinians.’

A Final Message:

This motion does not bring peace. Peace is not achieved by making Israel a pariah state – or destroying the Jewish state altogether. Peace is reached through bilateral negotiations, economic co-operation, academic collaboration, commercial relationships, healthy diplomatic ties, stands against racism of all kinds (including anti-Semitism), and of course, ‘mutual recognition.’

The BDS movement makes a mockery of all these principles – and that is why you should vote NO on Tuesday.