Medics are the worst people at uni

Medic students at King’s are dicks. Here’s why.

Relations with our estranged medical school have never exactly been harmonious with rigid separations in sport teams, societies, separate spots for sports night socials and, of course, separate campuses.

Generally medics and ‘strandies’ don’t mix, largely because the medics believe they are part of some elite club, which makes interaction with non-medical students strictly prohibited.  

In many ways, it is almost like medics aren’t part of King’s, and there are a number of reasons why we want it to stay that way…

Kings coming out victorious against the GKT girls

“Beat them with your superior intellect”

Having played KCL hockey for three years, I have lost count of the amount of times this has been shouted whilst GKT and us are on the pitch. It basically reinforces the superiority complex that medics carry around with them: that because they are doing a medical degree, they are automatically better than us mere peasants.

I appreciate that it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get into medical school, however it also takes a lot of this to get onto pretty much all degrees at King’s. I’m sorry to inform you that you are not the most intelligent people on the planet because of your degree choice (in fact, I’m pretty sure you could be outsmarted by the physics students).

Former GKT Patient…

“You’ll never get a job”

This is sung with alarming frequency at Macadam and many other opportunities where medics assume we will all be forced to sign onto the dole after graduation.

I hate to break it to you, but the majority of jobs for medicine graduates are in the public sector and, if you were aware of the news, you’d appreciate the huge budget cuts the NHS is currently facing, as well as widespread privatisation. So, ironically, maybe it’s you medics who will never get a job?

Macadam 2013

“We will earn more money than you”

Firstly, if the only reason you want to become a doctor is because of the pay packet, then I think you’re on the wrong degree. I would assume that the main attraction with medicine is how morally rewarding it is. Secondly, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but a hell of a lot of King’s graduates, particularly those on a management degree, end up going into finance, most notably investment banking, which definitely has higher earning potential, plus a higher starting salary than a doctor. So, essentially, you are wrong.

You’re not rich yet mate

“We won Macadam”

I can’t deny that, yes, you did win Macadam overall last year but, let’s be realistic, on the proper sports, such as hockey and rugby, you were destroyed. You won on sports like fencing and water polo and then proceeded to brag about it as if it had been a landslide. I understand it’s difficult to be the gracious winner when there is such a bitter rivalry between the two King’s sides, but you really do not behave with dignity and respect when you come out victorious.  

The Skeleton was a very popular addition to the team…