What NOT to wear in Winter

Christmas is well and truly over, so now it’s just cold and gloomy. Here’s what we beg you to refrain from wearing until we are graced with semi-permanent warmth!

1. THAT guy in the t-shirt

We know you’re cold really..

Dude, put on a coat. Embrace the fact that men’s fashion is undergoing a style revolution and buy a bloody jumper or a decent coat. You’ll probably have it for the rest of your life so think of it as the smartest investment you can make right now.

2. Bare legs on a night out

Girl dilemma

Beer jackets are temporary. Darling, tights are even more flattering. Also, fashion has accepted these marvellous things called disco pants which look amazing with crop tops. If flashing skin is your thing, that is.

3. Pumps.

How could you NOT wear these?!

My feet sometimes freeze over in Converses so I can’t imagine how cold bare feet in flat, open shoes can get. Use winter as an excuse to buy boots: take your pick from Uggs, knee high, Docs, military… You couldn’t get me to swap my cosy Uggs right now for pumps even if you paid me! Well, depends how much…student budgeting and that!

4. Shorts girls

We don’t all get airbrushed: chilly legs are not good

I feel your pain. I would choose shorts over jeans any day of the week, any time of the year. But let’s be realistic and admit tights need to go with them.

5. A leather jacket

They’re just not very snuggly 🙁

I’ll get a lot of stick for this one, but come on, they don’t even begin to compare to coats in terms of warmth. I love my leather and am looking forward to wearing it in a few months. Zara is your new best friend with their amazing range of coats but please give it a break over winter…

6. Fingerless gloves

Ha…try texting when your fingers are frozen stiff.

It was a phase a while ago. But that’s it. A phase. A while ago. Not now. Fashion has surprised us by bringing out something actually useful: tech-savvy touch gloves: say goodbye to iced-over fingers!

7. Everything in your wardrobe

Sadly we never look this good

There are some who deem appropriate winter dress to be piling on everything they own. Wrong. Unless you’re a model, it is also highly unattractive and uncomfortable. Especially on the tube. Layering your thin essentials is the way forward.