How to spot a hipster at KCL

We are the King’s of hipster. Here’s how to spot the hipsters from the wannabes at KCL.

If you’re a bit edgy but not quite sure, or if you fancy trying your hand at it, here’s how to be a hipster at King’s:

1. Attire

boy

No smiling allowed.

Airmax

Obligatory.

Vintage, vintage and did I mention vintage? Hand me downs and charity shops make your wardrobe. So for the lads: a beard, a bit of chest hair on show and a ninja turtles t-shirt should suffice. For the ladies: glasses, an undercut, Dad’s denim jacket and moccasins. The aim of the game is to look like you have just come out of a Dazed and Confused shoot (that’s a hipster magazine for all you mainstream folk).

2. Mode of transport

1474928_1430604890488188_281776880_n-1

If you’re really edgy, you’ll make your own bike, like this one.

The bicycle/skateboard. The edgy-est way to get to uni. Walking is far too conventional.  A true hipster will go so far to ride this through all seasons and put it together themselves.  – others with less time on their hands may take the bus. If you’re really edgy, you’ll ride a scooter.

3. The mind set

Oh this? I just threw it together.

Oh this? I just threw it together.

A true hipster never admits it. So basically, pretending to be modest. It’s a good trait. Oh, and they drop literary bomb shells every now and again, that takes some practice though kids. GO EASY.

4. Talk that talk

1455105_10153449538660344_2031347704_n

Makes perfect sense.

Hipsters talk in riddles. I remember hearing this one girl say “wanting to be too different makes you mainstream. I’ve never looked to be different”. WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?! Only a hipster could casually drop a deep statement like that. ‘Totes’ and ‘Yah’ are also additions to the hipster dictionary.

5. The big chill

313282_10150947217302854_1737258965_n

And remember, hipsters never smile.

Dalston. Shoreditch. Peckham. I’m no hipster but go to the Nest in Dalston – that’s where you want to be, apparently.