KCL kill over 100,000 animals every year

King’s revealed as 4th most bloodthirsty uni in the country.

• KCL kill 106,600 animals nationally
• Over 1.3 million animals were killed by unis across the country last year
• Science’s victims include cats, dogs, rabbits and over 950,000 mice

Freedom of Information requests submitted by The Tab to every university in the UK have shed light on the murky world of vivisection. Tab research reveals that over 1 million animals are killed by British universities every year.

King’s are guilty of killing 106,600 animals and testing on 134,859 every year including 22 marmoset monkeys. The university is the biggest killer in London, closely followed by Imperial who euthanise 123,519 animals annually.

Mice fall biggest victim to testing at King’s, with over 109,110 being tested on in the last year.

On a national scale Edinburgh top the table killing a whopping 226,341 animals every year predominantly using mice, fish and rats for their research.

Oxford University’s 202,203 casualties included 29 monkeys18 pigs and 43 badgers as well as 192,793 mice but at least they beat Cambridge who massacred almost 60,000 fewer animals.

At Oxford that represents a massive five mice killed for every one student studying at the university.

King’s euthanised marmosets (right) and Newcastle Uni killed both marmosets and macaques (left)

But King’s aren’t the only ones guilty of testing on monkeys. Newcastle killed 14 macaques and 6 marmosets whilst Cambridge killed 36 “primates” but did not specify the species.

Studies have shown that pigs are smarter than a typical three-year-old child yet 403 were killed at British universities in the last year.

Britain’s Most Bloodthirsty Unis

Alongside KCL it’s Edinburgh, Oxbridge, Imperial and Stirling that complete the ‘Big Six’ of animal testing unis as the only institutions in the country euthanising more than 100,000 animals annually.

While they’re busy with that, spare a thought for scientists at the University of Derby. Whilst their day jobs don’t involve killing anything they do have 1,000 crickets indulging in a daily lab-based shag fest with the noble aim of better understanding their mating habits.

Britain’s Most Vulnerable Animals

Mice were by far the most popular target representing over 75% of the animals being used in deadly research.

Fish came second due to the widespread laboratory use of the Zebrafish which is frequently used as a model organism in studies focused on human gene functions, 17,326 of which were tested on at King’s.

Britain’s Most Vulnerable Pets

This will make uncomfortable reading for most animal lovers.

Cardiff killed two cats last year as part of their research. This is revealed just a year after the university was criticised for sewing kittens’ eyes shut.

Luckily for him Charlie (left) lives at Tab HQ and not at the RVC

Don’t worry though cat people, the dogs have been copping their fair share as well. The Royal Veterinary College killed 10 dogs and cute bunny rabbits bit the dust in 11 universities around the country.

Michelle Thew, CEO of The British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection (BUAV), told The Tab: “The details of some [university] research will not only surprise but disgust.

“Tests have involved forcing rodents to inhale diesel fumes to investigate their harmful effects and deliberately inflicting high levels of stress on baby animals to see if having a stressful childhood causes mental health issues in adulthood.

“Many members of the public are under the illusion that all animal experimentation is vital for human health benefits, whereas this couldn’t be further from the truth.”

You can see the full results of our investigation by downloading the raw data here.