Milo Yiannopoulos address to Canterbury Sixth Form cancelled

He was due to speak at the grammar school he was once expelled from

A well publicised talk by senior Breitbart editor, Milo Yiannopoulos, at his former grammar school in Canterbury has been cancelled.

The 32-year-old right-winger was due to deliver a speech to Sixth Form students at Simon Langton Grammar School on Tuesday 22nd November at 4pm.

Yiannopoulos was going to speak about a range of topics, from the “alt-right”, to the victory of Donald Trump in the US presidential elections, of whom he has been a distinguished supporter.

However, it was announced in a Facebook group called the “Langton Politics Association” that the school’s headteacher, Dr. Baxter, had cancelled the event on Saturday.

milo-yiannopoulos

Charlie Mower, a member of the group who broke the news to others, stated in a comment that “Langton is intending to have Milo return at some point for a proper debate, the format of which will be acceptable to all parties concerned.”

Following the announcement of the controversial journalist’s return to the school he was once expelled from, the reaction to the grammar school’s invite had polarised students and residents of Canterbury alike.

Peter Walters, who claims online that he is a teacher at Simon Langton, stated on Facebook that: “I believe I know our senior students quite well… I have no doubt that they will listen to what he has to say, take the opportunity to quiz him on his beliefs and ideals, then make up their own minds.”

Whereas Kat Peddie stated, also on Facebook: “One thing the rise of Farage and Trump really shows is no-platforming of this kind of shit is probably a better idea than we thought.”

Furthermore, an unofficial open letter that urges the school to “take back their invitation to Mr Yiannopoulos” was drafted and was due to be published today.

The letter is affiliated to academics and students from both the University of Kent and Canterbury Christ Church University, and states that the “whole nation will be watching and expecting responsibility from the school administrators, who should not conflate the defence of freedom of speech with complicity with the institutionalisation of extremist discourses and hate speech.”

University of Kent