Revealed: Strip club set for Canterbury

Application for a ‘sex entertainment venue’ leaves little to the imagination.

An application has been made to open a ‘sex entertainment venue’ in Canterbury’s Dover Street.

Kent Student Union is writing a representation against the application to Canterbury City Council, made by a Broadstairs-based company, Canongate Enterprise LLP.

The application was submitted on March 12 2013. The council will receive representations either for or against the venue until April 7.

Kent Union women’s officer Beth Taylor brought the motion to Union Council, the Union’s highest democratic body. After several rounds of debating, the motion passed successfully. The Kent Union Women’s Campaign were asked to comment but declined.

The premises, known to students, as the Farmhouse, will be renamed The Bing.

Jamie Finn, 26, from No-Wave Magazine said the Farmhouse was “easily the best venue in the city”. He added: “It’s a massive shame. I think we were all hoping the previous people would move back there. But the building has been empty for over six months and the owners are trying to run a business. It couldn’t stay empty forever.”

It is proposed that The Bing will be open from 8pm to 1am Sundays to Thursdays, and from 8pm to 3am Fridays and Saturdays, with a £10 entry fee.

The applicants described the proposal as an “upmarket venue” featuring activities including pole dancing and lap dancing. The application also added that it would be a “well managed facility in the style of Stringfellows and Spearmint Rhino.”

The first of its kind since Canterbury’s new sex entertainment venue policy, the venue will cater to all sexualities, with frequent gay nights with both male and female pole dancers.

Head of neighbourhood services at Canterbury City Council, Larissa Reed, said: “The council will consider the proposal under its approved sex encounter venue and sex establishment policy.”

The Farmhouse, which had been run by the organisers of the annual Lounge on the Farm festival, closed in September after a dispute over rents and has sat empty and boarded-up since.

The building – which over the years has been called Gators, Fat Piggies, Buddy Allen’s and Bar Extreme – is owned by Enterprise Inns.

The application is due to be heard by the council’s licensing 11-member committee in May.