Puppy rooms are coming to JMU this April

Eat your heart out Uni of

Liverpool Students’ Union have organised for JMU to host our first ever puppy rooms.

They have organised the event with Guide Dogs UK, who will be bringing in guide dog puppies in the hopes to reduce stress levels in students.

Puppy rooms have been used with other universities such as Bristol and the University of Central Lancashire, and seen success in de-stressing students. It has also been found by a Japanese study that looking at and interacting with cute things can improve a students performance by about 16 per cent.

Too cute

The authors of the study write that in the future cute objects could be used as a way to trigger emotions “to induce careful behavioural tendencies in specific situations, such as driving and office work”.

The Rise and Give Society is taking part in fund raising for Guide Dogs UK. Gi-Ching Gwok, president of The Raise and Give society (RAG), has said: “The puppy rooms are to help students have a sense of escape and a way to de stress, during busy exam and assignment hand in time.

“This has been proven to be very successful at other unis and I hope it will be just as popular and successful at John Moores!

“I wanted RAG to get involved in this not only to raise money for a great cause, but to raise awareness of mental health and the importance of relaxing at a busy time. And who doesn’t love puppies?”

RAG are going to be fundraising the day before the event, and on the day for the wonderful charity.

The puppy rooms will be open on these dates at these locations:

Monday 11 April: 10-1, Redmonds Room 233

Tuesday 12 April: 11:30-1:30, Avril Robarts Library, Seminar Room 1

Friday 15 April: 10-12, IMM Room B004