The reaction to Kim K’s nudes shows sexism is still alive

Some people have even superimposed clothes on her

Yesterday Kim Kardashian posted a nude picture of herself with black bars covering her private parts, and people are acting like she has just spat all over feminism.

Kim posted this picture to Instagram yesterday, captioning the photo: “When you’re like I have nothing to wear LOL”. Granted, this is a bit rich coming from someone with a multi-million dollar wardrobe, but why do people feel the need to jump on her for posting what she wants?

I’m not a massive Kardashian follower, and to be honest I only know who she is because my friends used to force me to sit through episodes of Keeping Up With The Kardashians, but I feel people have got the wrong end of the stick with Kim’s latest posts. These pictures are not graphic pornography with a hashtag like #sluttysunday, they are tasteful pictures from a woman who is clearly comfortable with her body. When you actually take a second to look at this picture, all of Kim’s modesty is covered, essentially the same as it would be if she was wearing a bikini. And shock horror, if she was wearing a bikini she would be naked under that too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCpQBQROS5l/?taken-by=kimkardashian

Following the outrage, Kim posted another nude, captioned #liberated, and in what seems like a complete irony bypass, people are trying to say her feeling free to post a tasteful nude has nothing to do with being liberated. One person tweeted “ that’s called dear Kim not :).” Do people actually know the meaning of the word liberated? A liberated person is someone who is free from social conventions or traditional ideas, especially with regard to sexual roles. Surely if Kim feels that she can be free to post a picture of her body in the way that she wants, then she is right to use the word liberated?

Essentially Kim’s sexuality should be up to her, not public opinion.  If she wants to take a nude picture, or seven nude pictures, or make a sex tape, why should people be able to condemn her for that? Just a couple of months ago Jeremy McConnell released pictures of himself completely naked, with only a hand covering his private parts. Is this not the exact same as the picture of Kim Kardashian? But when The Sun wrote about Jeremy they built him up with praise: “The 25-year-old former Mr Ireland flaunted his impressive set of tattoos in the snaps — covering his modesty with nothing other than a bowler hat and his hands.” When reporting on Kim’s nudes it was a completely different story: “Kim Kardashian has sunk to desperate new depths in an attempt to keep up with sexy sisters Kourtney Kardashian and Kylie Jenner.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCroouZuSzw/?taken-by=kimkardashian

For some reason people still think it is OK to praise men and berate women for doing the exact same thing, and somehow have the cheek to turn round and say Kim is turning her back on feminism. On International Women’s Day, shouldn’t we be celebrating the freedom Kim is demonstrating?