Liverpool is 28th most dangerous city in the UK for drinking

It was out of 50

Liverpool has been ranked as 28th most dangerous drinking city in a list that ranks the number of people admitted to hospital with alcohol related illnesses or injuries.

Unsurprisingly, more than a few student cities have found their way onto the list, although that isn’t to say there aren’t a few shocks.

The champion of dangerous drinking was in fact the seaside party town of Blackpool. Roughly 1000 per 100,000 people needed treatment last year due to their alcohol intake.

Can’t see the drunks from here

This equals to just under five drinkers going to hospital every day.
Former Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Mr Byrne said: “Booze abuse costs Britain a staggering £21 billion a year. These shocking figures expose just where our problem’s biggest.”

Students at Liverpool universities were surprised by the results. First year Georgia Clewer said: “I thought it’d be higher up than that. Liverpool has a reputation – you hear about a new stabbing every week.”

Fellow fresher Adam Leighton said: “It’s surprising considering Liverpool is a big hotspot for students. I think realistically it should be top ten at least.”

University towns and cities didn’t get away lightly. Sunderland found itself winning the bronze medal with Salford not far behind in seventh place. Merseyside didn’t escape its place at the table of shame however.

Something says alcohol played a part in this

So Liverpool isn’t at the bottom of the drunk, messy pile. Perhaps students can be more sensible that they’re given credit for?