Tuition fees might be scrapped, but how do you feel about it?

Someone up top needs to make their mind up

Jeremy Corbyn has released his plans to scrap student loan if he gets elected, but how do those currently paying £9000 a year feel?

Ever since tuition fees were raised to £9000 per year in 2012, there have been relentless student protests to decrease and even abolish tuition fees. Our financial situations were then only worsened by the Tory government’s bright idea to scrap maintenance grants. Nice one Dave.

But now our Robin Hood-esque labor leader, Jeremy Corbyn, has announced his plans to scrap tuition fees, and get student grants back by a 7% increase in taxes for those who earn over £50 000 a year, and it might sound a bit counter intuitive.

John Moores students had something to say about it.

Katie, second year Forensic science

“I think what Corbyn wants to do is very good because students have been fighting about it for years now, but its sad that it wasn’t in place when I started university. I’m sure Labour will gain a lot of support after the announcement.”

Charlotte, second year Drama and Creative writing

“I think its an ace idea. Getting rid of tuition fees would open up a whole load of opportunities for people who otherwise wouldn’t have gone to university for fear of being in debt forever. Plus if you want to invest in anyone’s future, it’s students.”

Louis, first year Journalism

“I’m delighted by the announcement because right now, who pays wins. Corbyn could bring meritocracy back into education  so people don’t have to pay to learn any more.”

Mark, third year Mechanical Engineering

“I feel like scrapping tuition fees would be a great thing for new students. Money shouldn’t be a factor when it comes to going to university and reaching your potential. The return of maintenance grants would also be great because some students strugel with money for their entire time at uni. from most of what I’ve read about Corbyn I could be swayed to vote labour, as long as he doesn’t start back tracking on his pledges.”

Alex, Second year Creative Writing

“Making education more accessible is undoubtedly beneficial, both for the individual and the contry, but people should be wary voting for a single policy (i.e lib dems). Luckily, the rest of Corbyns aims seem just as good so yeah, if I wasn’t already decided it would sway me to vote labour.”

Julia, second year Forensic Science

“Its a really good idea. Me and my boyfriend will be in at least £54, 000 of debt between us when we finish uni, and that’s not a good way to start our working lives.”

Lauren Shearer, second year Geography

“I personally don’t think scrapping tuition fees is going to be of a great help. The funding has to come from somewhere in order for universities to run as they are doing. Admittedly they may be a bit high, but at the end of the day only a small percentage of people have to pay the full amount back. If the fees were scrapped, the government would only find another way of getting this money out of people and in the long run this would probably be of more harm than good.”