Harry Potter prequel scenes to be shot in Liverpool

Fans of bad child acting everywhere rejoice

Scenes for the prequel to Harry Potter, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’, will soon be shot in Liverpool city centre.

Not looking so magical yet

Liverpool is the only non-studio location being used by Warner Bros. Pictures and as many as 530 cast and crew will descend on the city during the filming process.

Set in New York City, the prequel’s story will be set 70 years before the original film series which stars Daniel Radcliffe.

Known as ‘The World in One City’, Liverpool has often been used in films to give the appearance of New York City amongst other iconic cities. Recent examples include ‘Captain America: The First Avenger’ using the iconic Stanley Dock in 2010 to give the impression of 1940s New York.

Locals are really excited to welcome the film crew to the city.

No black magic, only fences

Lucy Stone, a college student from Maghull, said “I was super excited when I found out that Harry Potter was being filmed right here in Liverpool! I grew up with the books and loved the films, I can’t wait to see the new film next year.”

Amber Rogers, a first year maths student from Ellesmere Port said “It’s absolutely fantastic to see such a big production in Liverpool. We are such a warm and welcoming city so the films cast and crew will feel right at home for however long they’re here.”

A star-studded cast will grace the centre of Liverpool in the coming days to film the latest addition to JK Rowling’s Harry Potter franchise, led by Oscar-winning actor Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander, an authority in the fictional field of Magizoology.

Film crew were spotted yesterday preparing the site at St. George’s Hall with large metal fences. Crew have been seen preparing a site near the Three Graces as part of the film production.

You have to wait until 2016 to watch it

Nathan Archer, a second year Journalism student, originally from Leicester said “It’ll be really fantastic to see Liverpool appear in such a highly anticipated film. I’ll be really interested to see what St. George’s Hall is going to represent in the film, and whether I’ll even notice when it comes on screen.”

Liverpool was previously used in 2009 for the final instalment of the franchise. During routine maintenance of the Queensway Tunnel, stunt scenes were filmed for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part One.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will be released worldwide in 3D and IMAX on November 18th 2016.