Home of Med to be transformed into massive underground venue

It’s costing £40 million

clubbing concert square cream liverpool medication nation wolstenholme square

Nation will close its doors in December to undergo a huge, year-long redevelopment.

The iconic home of Medication and Cream will re-open as an underground venue in 2016, as part of a £40 million development of Wolstenholme Square.

The massive project will see 10 storey buildings, cafés, restaurants and shops, as well as a new home for Nation.

Club and music venue The Kazimier will also close its doors for the new development.

Med is one of Liverpool’s biggest nights

The venue has held gigs from the likes of Peace, Jamie T, Crystal Fighters, and is one of the best loved music venues in the city due to its originality and character.

The proposals by Elliot Group include a new home for superclub Cream and a fresh venue run by collaborators from The Kazimier.

Elliot Group MD told the ECHO: “This scheme is a unique opportunity to fit a state-of-the-art nightclub seamlessly alongside modern homes, both of which are key to Wolstenholme Square’s long-term competitiveness and appeal.”

The new super club is part of the £40m year-long development to transform Wolstenholme Square.

It will see the creation of new buildings ranging up to 10 storeys, a new passageway through to Seel Street and space for cafés, restaurants and shops.

The Kaz will also be closing

Cheyenne Hansen, Journalism student at LJMU, told The Tab: “Med is always a good night out, it’s a staple Friday night out where you know it’ll be great.

“It’ll be sad to see it go as the venue is so different to anywhere else in Liverpool.

“We will go if it re-opens, it’ll be good to have somewhere new to go.”

Cream is a legendary event in Liverpool, since it began in 1992 it has been the mecca for dance music fans around the country, attracting thousands of clubbers.

Having closed its weekly club night in 2002, Cream has continued to host a series of sell out parties throughout the year.

With line ups still to be announced for their last event on Boxing Day, you can expect to see DJ sets from previous performances and some new faces to shake it up.

All to bid farewell to one of the UK’s most famous clubs.

Nation declined to comment when contacted by The Tab.