‘We hosted 70 people in our basement for the best gig of the year’

Are these the most mental third years ever?

chicago house party kyc liverpool john moores secret gig seel street twin peaks

Eight third years hosted the “best kept secret gig” of the year in the basement of their house.

Last Monday, a basement on Seel Street was transformed from a dark, dank dungeon into a rock and roll haven, as Chicago band Twin Peaks played an exclusive gig to 70 lucky guests.

The band first advertised the opportunity to host one of their top secret gigs on Facebook back in January.

James Pyrah, Creative Director of artist management company KYC (Know Your Culture), is no stranger to hosting band-playing house parties, and jumped at the chance to showcase the best “homemade” gig of 2015.

He told The Tab: “We initially wanted to put them on at the back of Maguire’s Pizza Bar, but given the nature of the gig and the ethos of our company, we decided the funky little basement of our friend’s house Brendon would suit much better.”

To the basement, people

Seel Street Residents

After weeks of collective organisation from both KYC and Erstwhile – which host Brendon founded – the event was set to sail, and Twin Peaks were destined to spread their wings upon Liverpool’s thriving “underground-basement scene”.

It was what everyone had been waiting for: rowdy 20-somethings were engulfed by like minded, fizz-fuelled and excited go-getters, all ready to get down and to get dirty with the latest band from the States.

Benjamin Plumpton, resident and owner to an eighth of the basement, said it was “sweaty but sick”.

People queuing to get into the basement

157 people originally signed up to see the band, but only the first 70 people to arrive were guaranteed entry.

Doors opened at 9pm, and by 9.11pm they had reached capacity.

Kris Dragesæt, who was there, said: “It was fucking mad, I loved it. It’s the best gig I have attended in Liverpool.

“We used to do the same in my hometown in an old abandoned house where everyone brought booze and got fucked listening to sick bands.

“This reminded me very much of that, I think there should definitely be more of these gigs.”

THE RULES

It was so packed, the only way to get in was to wade through a turmoil of perspiring bodies and raucous attitudes.

Twin Peaks were supported by Liverpool bands Shrinking Minds and Mothers, who both screamed down the walls with their sound, only to stimulate the crowd further for the band of the night.

Band members necked whiskey shots between songs and beers, fags and bodies were passed round the basement with what felt like a unit of lifelong, eternal friends.

Everyone involved became an entity of musical respect and appreciation which nowadays seems to be an acid-washed tradition.

KYC boss Cal McKinney on the bar

Shrinking Minds stealing the souls of Seel Street

Members of Liverpool band Asterisks said: “It was definitely the most DIY punk gig I’ve been to since Drop The Dumbbells.

“BYOB shows like that have a certain energy that a regular venue can’t produce.”

Another added: “It was amazing. DIY gigs can be a bit shit sometimes, but to get those lovely Chicago boys to do it was so good.

“It was massive, big up KYC.”

MOTHERS alluring ladies and gentlemen across the Mersey

Chicago hunnies, Twin Peaks

He came to rock and to roll

Erstwhile (Left), Twin Peaks (Centre), KYC (Right)

Co-founder of KYC, Cal McKinney, said: “It couldn’t have gone better really.

“I think the best thing about the night was how there was a real scene going on.

“People from all over the country were coming down to a student’s basement in Liverpool to watch bands play and nothing more.

“I just think it was pretty fucking cool.”