Mechanical Engineering student could be fighting with ISIS in Syria

He was recruited by his older brother

ISIS Javeed john moore ljmu Mohammed Javeed syria terrorism terrorist

The younger brother of a convicted terrorist is reported to still be fighting in Syria with ISIS, alongside former LJMU students.

Mohammed Javeed, 21, who studied Mechanical Engineering, left for Syria in October 2013 after being recruited by his older brother.

Mohammed travelled with fellow students Raphael Hostey and Anil Khalil Raoufi, who was killed in February last year a day after his 20th birthday.

They took with them £1,400 worth of equipment, winter clothing and passports from Mohammed’s older brother Jamshed.

Three LJMU students have left to join ISIS

Jamshed Javeed, Mohammed’s brother, pleaded guilty

Jamshed, who taught chemistry at Sharples High School in Bolton, was arrested in December 2013 and was later found guilt of “violent Islamist ideologies” and the “intention to engage in acts of terrorism in support of that Islamist ideology”.

The teacher from Levenshulme had planned to join the students in Syria but was stopped by his family in November after they hid his clothing and equipment.

Jamshed ignored pleas to refrain from fighting, risking to never see his family, wife and young child again.

He pleaded guilty last year to two counts of engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts.