Union’s ‘The End’ event CANCELLED

Turns out no one wanted to go

The planned replacement for the Union's end of year ball has today been officially cancelled due to a lack of ticket sales and overwhelmingly negative feedback from students.

The cancellation was announced this morning by the hosts of the event, VMS Live.

EVENT CANCELLATION: The End – 25 May 2019. A message from VMS Live:"It is with huge regret that we announce the…

Posted by Hull Box Office on Monday, May 20, 2019

Backlash from students against the proposed event came immediately following the announcement by the union it would not be putting on a traditional 'End of Year Ball', however anger was also generated by virtue of the fact the initial plans would have meant being bussed from venue to venue and the cost.

#HullFess7799The End? More like the end of the union's credibility

Posted by HullFess on Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Following student opposition, five days ago HUU President Osaro announced that all the planned events were to move on campus rather than bits also being hosted at Welly and Polar Bear.

Osaro further explained that the decision to move away from an EOYB was due to falling student " feedback and expectations, ticket sales and student numbers", with an internal review predicting that "running a 2019 event in the same format as 2018, was not financially viable".

#HullFess7195Seeing the union trying to promote their shit end of year event being like “buy tickets now!!”

Posted by HullFess on Thursday, May 2, 2019

In response to the cancellation, the University Union have said they are "saddened that an event we thought would be a great way to mark the end of the year did not get the reaction we hoped for and are sorry this means we are unable to offer an end of semester celebration".

However they have announced that the 2020 end of year party will be planned by a committee of student volunteers in order to provide something students want.

In the mean time, full refunds will be made to the few students who had bought tickets.

If you want to be a part of the voluntary event committee for next year, send your CV and a covering letter to huu-reception@hull.ac.uk