Record numbers of students using HullFess to speak about mental health

Some of the posts are heartbreaking to read

Mental health awareness is thankfully becoming a topic of focus in day-to-day life, particularly among students, however in the wake of accusations that the University’s provisions are inadequate, students have been turning to the anonymous Facebook page ‘HullFess’ to express their tough situations.

Talking to the Tab Hull, Hullfess admins confessed that the number of students using the page to express their awful circumstances has "skyrocketed", and that many of the darker posts are not being published for students to read, meaning we can only see the tip of the iceberg.

Reassured by the anonymity, it seems some feel this is a platform that allows them be heard without judgement.

Image may contain: Page, License, Driving License, Document, Text

When submitting to the page, students are told: “Make it embarrassing, make it amusing, or simply just vent”. You’d probably expect wild stories of one-night stands and rants about the library. And rest assured, there are plenty of these posts.

Keep an eye out and in amongst the more frivolous and jokey posts, you will spot many heartfelt confessions, symptomatic of a society that encourages the bottling up of feelings—meaning anonymous confession pages like Hullfess are very easy to turn to.

When one of these posts pops up on your timeline, it’s hard to read it without feeling a sense of helplessness.

Image may contain: Document, License, Driving License, Number, Symbol, Page, Word, Text

Many students leave comments on such posts offering to be a listening ear and with words of support and encouragement.

The admins of HullFess clearly noticed the rise in students using the page as a platform to reach out about their mental health problems, as they published a post to acknowledge the sharp rise in mental health confessions.

“…due to our old page being taken down, as well as a rocket in the number of users sending in submissions asking for help regarding serious mental health issues, we’ve decided to post a help post again”

“we’d like to remind everyone that support is available, whether it’s from the University, friends and colleagues, from your GP or from a local professional service such as Mind Hull or Let’s Talk.”

Image may contain: Page, Text

“We, at HullFess, would like to say to those people that we’re so incredibly sorry to hear that you’re going through a difficult time. Whether this is the first time you’ve felt this way or not, it’s scary and believe us when we know it’s scary. But please remember, there are people around that care and want to listen and try to understand.”

If you’re struggling with your mental health, please find useful contact details below:

116 123 – Samaritans (If you’re just wanting someone to talk to confidentially).

01482 247111 – Let’s Talk Hull (If you feel you may need professional help such as counselling).