Hull University becomes official partner of Team GB

The University is today holding a day of activities including an Olympic Torch procession and gold medal winners

The University of Hull has today announced it has become the first ever university to become an official partner of Team GB, joining Adidas, Aldi and others.

The partnership will create joint research and enterprise opportunities delivered by the University and include hosting and participating in Team GB events, developing courses, and work experience and volunteering opportunities to boost students’ CVs.

The partnership announced today covers a six-year period, meaning the University of Hull and Team GB will work together throughout Tokyo 2020, Paris 2024 and the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics.

Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Bicycle, Bike, Festival, Crowd, Person, Human

Image credit: Caroline Granycombe via Wikimedia Commons

To launch the partnership, the University will be putting on a day of activities, featuring gold-winning Olympic cyclist Elinor Barker and Chef de Mission (Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020) Mark England, who will take part in a question and answer session for staff and students.

At 16.20, the Olympic Torch will also be carried through the campus by six of the university’s extraordinary staff, students and alumni. The torch procession will culminate in a celebration at the Library Plaza in the university.

The CEO of the British Olympic Association, Bill Sweeney, has said the partnership will mean “conducting joint research and developing specific courses looking into the positive impact of a strong team ethos and how this can help achieve success in highly competitive environments. We look forward to working together to grow this vision further.”

The announcement comes a week after the University teased the partnership on Twitter, claiming something extraordinary was coming.

Hull University’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Susan Lea, commented “It is an honour for us to be able to partner with Team GB and we look forward to working together to achieve our joint ambitions.”

Featured image: Paul Lakin [CC BY 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)] via https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hull_University_-_panoramio_(1).jpg