University of Hull plummets in Times’ league tables

University ranks below 100th for first time

The University of Hull has dramatically plummeted in the Times’ 2019 ‘Good University Guide’ rankings it was revealed yesterday; from 75th in 2017 to 103rd today – a fall of 28 places.

This latest blow to the university’s pride comes after a sustained decline in its national ranking, from as high as 39th in 2008, marking a 64 place fall in the last decade.

Image may contain: Diagram

Sources told the Tab Hull that in a private meeting, the University's Vice Chancellor predicted it will take up to five years before Hull sees a rise in the league tables; saying there will be a delay before changes put in place to counteract the decline begin to take effect.

Image may contain: Woman, Girl, Female, Blonde, Person, People, Human

University of Hull Vice Chancellor, Professor Susan Lea

The University hopes £300 million-worth of investments into our campus—such as the new £25 million Allam medical building—will raise standards, attracting new talent to both the staff and student body.

The Times went on to reveal applications to the University of Hull fell by over 10 per cent in 2017.

The 103rd place ranking was arrived at by combigning multiple sub-categories rankings. Hull rated higher in areas such as research quality (55th) and graduate prospects (66th), however abysmal rankings in categories such as teaching quality (89th), student experience (98th), firsts and 2:1s (104th) and student-to-staff ratio (108th) contributed to the 28-place fall.

Image may contain: Text, Page

The 28 place fall is the largest ever, after a 13 place drop in 2015

Student satisfaction has remained highest among American Studies students (91.2 per cent) and German students (90.5 per cent), whereas only 63.9 per cent of Electrical engineering students being satisfied with the quality of their degree—the least satisfied of all students.

The question we are left asking, therefore, is how much further will the University fall over the coming years, before (as the Vice Chancellor believes) we see a much needed rise in the league tables?

The full Times’ Good University Guide can be found here.