Hull Students to compete against lecturers in BBC Quiz Show

The 3rd Degree will be recorded tomorrow in Middleton Hall

The 3rd degree, a quiz show hosted by comedian Steve Punt, pits three Undergrads against three lecturers in a general knowledge and specialist subject quiz. It will be transmitted on BBC Radio 4 in Spring 2017.

Produced by BAFTA nominated and Sony and International Emmy award winning Pozzitive Television Ltd, who have created other shows such as dinnerladies, French and Saunders, Little Britain Abroad, TLC and Cabin Pressure, the show will be recorded in Middleton Hall this Wednesday evening and everyone is welcome to come and watch for free.

The 3rd Degree, which has been running since 2011 and is in its 7th series, will be aired later this Spring. The University is one of just 6 Universities chosen to participate in the quiz this year, joining St John’s College Cambridge, Queen’s University Belfast, Liverpool, Derby and Roehampton.

Keen to get students involved, they have recruited staff and students to play against each other. One team consists of three students and the other team consists of three of their lecturers (known as the “Dons”).

The show consists of several rounds : The General Knowledge Round, The Specialist Subject Round #1, The List Round, The Specialist Subject Round #2, Highbrow Lowbrow, The Specialist Subject Round #3 and The Quickfire Round.

“The rounds vary between Specialist Knowledge and General Knowledge, with quickfire bell-and-buzzer rounds and individual questions also” said the producers, “It’s hosted by Steve Punt and is recorded on location at a different University each week with the audience composed of students and staff from the University”

The Hull Student team consists of Michael Howe (Business Management), Christian Hayter (History) and Tia Giove (American Studies).

Steve Punt

Christian Hayter, a History student and contestant said: “I was chosen to take part after emailing the producer and chatting to the producer about the show, he gave me a quiz over the phone and a week later I was told I got on!

“I’m looking forward to it as I’ve never been on radio before and it should be a laugh, people should come as it ought to be fun and there’s a good chance I will accidentally swear in frustration on national radio”

“The recording is taking place at Middleton Hall with doors opening at 17:40 for a 18:00 start (29/03/2017). The recording will likely finish around 19:30.

“Entrance is UTTERLY FREE! and no ticket necessary, just show up ready to support your fellow students (or staff)”

NOW WATCH:
The Tab Hull The Tab Hull News