Women of the World festival comes to Hull

New York, Sydney and…. Hull?

“WOW is a festival of talks, debates, music, film, comedy and activism that celebrates women and girls and takes a frank look at what stops them from achieving their potential” says the City of Culture website “Based on the premise that an equal world is a better world for all of us, WOW is a celebration not only of women and girls but of equality in all its forms.”

Since the WOW festival was founded in 2010 at London’s Southbank Centre, it has become a rapidly expanding global movement with festivals taking place on five continents. Hull will become the most recent host city and the UK joins New York, Sydney, Pakistan and Finland as hosts.

Events begin today and reach their peak at the weekend with the jam-packed calendar of ticketed Saturday and Sunday events. The University of Hull plays host to “more than 20 events to reflect the great strides that women have made, and continue to make, in the University and beyond”, including exhibitions, conferences and lectures. The full list of events is available on the website, but here is our top picks for each day

Wednesday 8th March

9 – 5.30 : Mary Wollstonecraft : Life, Work and Legacy Conference with key note speakers biographer Professor Janet Todd OBE, Caroline Criado Perez OBE and Dr. Sandrine Berges

1 – 3 : Women in leadership – some reflections

6 – 7.30 : Inspired in Hull with Liz Sproat, Head of Education at Google

Thursday 9th March

1.15 – 4.45 : CultureCafe – Inspirational Women – A Celebration

1 – 2 : Structure and function of proteins involved in staphylococcal biofilms with Biologist Prof. Jennifer Potts from the University of York

Friday 10th March  

1 – 2.30 : Women Bishops in the Church of England: the new normal’ – The Rt. Revd Alison White (The second female Bishop of the Church of England)

3 – 4 : Editing a 20th Century Gender History of Eastern Europe in the 21st Century with Historian Dr Catherine Baker

Time TBC : Exhibition – Ethel Leginska: The Musical Pioneer

Saturday 11th March ALL DAY : Women of the World Festival

Sunday 12th March ALL DAY : Women of the World Festival

Booking is required for some of the events and the weekend events are ticketed, but pretty cheap so worth a look!

University of Hull