Anthony Walgate’s suspected killer charged with four counts of murder at the Old Bailey

A provisional trial date is set for April

Suspected serial killer Stephen Port appeared via videolink at the Old Bailey today charged with poisoning and murdering four young men.

The 40-year-old from Barking allegedly killed Hull-born student Anthony Walgate, 23, after his body was found close to a graveyard in Barking, East London on 19th June 2014.

Between Anthony’s death in June 2014 and September 2015, the bodies of three more young men – Gabriel Kovari, Daniel Whitworth and Jack Taylor – have also been found in or around the same graveyard.

It is alleged that Port gave the drug GHB to the men after contacting them through online dating sites.

Stephen Port, 40, charged with 4 counts of murder, including that of Anthony Walgate

Stephen Port was charged with 4 counts of murder, including that of Anthony Walgate

A student at Middlesex University, Anthony had dreams of being a successful fashion designer and was described as being “funny with a wicked sense of humour”.

His mother Sarah Sak told the Hull Daily Mail: “He was a good friend.

“If he was friends with you, he would be your best mate.”

But Ms Sak criticised the Metropolitan police for failing to keep the family up to date with any progress in her son’s case.

She added: “Had the murder happened in Hull, we would have known by now what happened.”

"If he was your friend, he would be your best mate"

“If Anthony was your friend, he would be your best mate”

The hearing lasted approximately 10 minutes, with a provisional trial date set for April.

The alleged killer remains remanded in custody.