Teary-eyed Mums give advice for fresher’s week

‘Stick with your mates and don’t drink a blue drink’

national

You’re her baby, and you moving out to start your new life at university will probably hit her even harder than it will you.

From the very beginnings of your foetal existence, she fed you, bathed you, clothed you and loved you.

Now you’re leaving her for a life of barely eating anything but takeaway, showering only when you can be bothered to move and wearing the same pair of jeans to every lecture.

You’ll be a mess, but mummy can’t do anything about it anymore.

She’s a proper star really.

She’ll send you money when you’re short on cash, stock you up on pasta and tins of beans when you’re home and send you awful memes on Facebook that tell you just how much she misses and loves you.

So don’t give her a hard time, okay?

On the day you move into your student accommodation, you’ll be surrounded by other nervous freshers, awkward looking dads, and you guessed it, mums.

Mums who will be bursting with enthusiasm to help you move in, until they have to leave you there, on your own, her little angel all grown up.

It doesn’t get any better either.

Even in your second and third years, your mum will still worry about you, nag you (its because she cares) and cry every time you leave to go back to uni.

With moving in day looming on the not so distant horizon, we asked these mums what they thought about their baby birds flying the nest.

Lauren and Karen

lauren

Karen, who’s daughter will be studying mental health nursing at Sheffield Hallam University next year, said: “The house will be a lot tidier when she goes to university, but I’ll miss her. I’ll really miss her. Not that I see much of her anyway, she’s always out!”

“I’ll miss the chats we have” – and said somewhat sarcastically – “and all the housework she does… I’ll miss not having so much washing to do. Well, no, I won’t miss that. Or the untidy bedroom.”

Lauren’s mum left her with these parting words of advice: “Watch your money, don’t live above your means.

“Don’t be like your dad. Be careful with strangers, don’t trust everybody, look after yourself, and learn how to cook – don’t just eat microwave meals and takeaway – and enjoy yourself.”

Jack and Jill

jack

When Jack, second year at the University of Arts London, moved away from home to study BA Advertising, or as he calls it “Basically something to do for 3 years to put off working”, Jill told said: “I don’t want him to go back, its boring without him.

“I miss someone always laughing, but not the messy bedroom.

“He needs to keep away from dangerous and dodgy people as well.”

Well said, mum.

Beth and Melody

beth

Beth, who is now in her second year, went to Northampton University last year to study Developmental and Educational Psychology. Melody described Beth being at university as “Rubbish.

“Its tough because I’m on my own, but I know its good for her and it will help her so I’ll cope.

“I’ll miss her company, but not the nagging. I won’t miss being forced to eat with the television on…” – at this point, Beth interjects with “She’s a noisy eater!”

Melody told Beth to “Be careful, with money and banking. Cook and eat properly. Not that you’ll listen to a word I’ve said.”

At least she isn’t under the impression that Beth will actually take her advice.

Sadie and Georgina 

sadie

Sadie is a fresher off to study History at the University of Manchester and her mum had this to say – “I am quite excited for Sadie moving out and starting a new challenge in life. I’ll miss the banter and sharing clothes, but I won’t miss the mess.

“If I have any advice for her, it is to work hard, play hard. Stick with your mates and don’t drink a blue drink.”

Its true, your mum wants whats best for you, even if she shows it in an annoying way that makes it seem like she wants you to live under a rock for the rest of your life.

She’s more than likely done it all before and more, so don’t shoot her advice down. She knows what she’s talking about even if you think she’s old and uncool and ignorant to what goes on at uni.

She knows exactly what you’ll be doing in freshers week and every weekend after that.