‘After the rats we stopped caring’: Are these the most disgusting houses in Hull?

Welcome to my crib

Let’s be honest, we all knew what we were getting into, no matter how many times we vowed to ourselves (and each other) that we were going to keep the place tidy. This is a three-year long once in a lifetime opportunity to live in squalor and you aren’t about to pass this up.

We were invited into two of the grossest student houses in Hull.

Barney, second year Chemical Engineering, Beverley Road

This place is just gross. With eight boys all living together under one roof, it was never going to be a haven of cleanliness.

Barney says: “It was after the rats when we stopped caring.”

Not bad guys, could do with a sweep though.

With the potential to be a great house, the massive communal areas instead house bike equipment, an old mattress and a variety of broken kitchen appliances.

Barney explains: “It used to be pretty tidy, for a group of guys anyway. But when it seemed like the landlord stopped caring so did we.”

Th sofas may look comfy, but god knows what they've seen

The sofas may look comfy, but god knows what they’ve seen

Spare mattress and duvet... we guess this is where they put their guests???

Spare mattress and duvet… we guess this is where they put their guests???

And on the topic of appliances: “we use the trolley as a dishwasher,” grins Barney.

“All the random stuff no one can be bothered to clean goes in the trolley and when it rains, we push it outside.”

Pausing to pull a Café Nero mug out the debris Barney suddenly looks forlorn.

“I’ve been looking for that for ages! Can’t really use that again, can I?”

A genius idea, though at one point we thought we'd found a snail in there

A genius idea, though at one point we thought we’d found a snail in there

One bathroom was so awful that our guide wouldn’t even let us in there: “No way, I’m sorry, you can’t go in there. That’s disgusting.”

The downstairs toilet is in an even worse state: “It’s pretty gross in there but we’ve never really used it. At least we have the other two upstairs.”

Who would park themselves on THIS throne?

Barney preferred us not to photograph his room, despite being one of the tidiest rooms in the house, but did disclose this: “The central heating hasn’t worked since October so I have a kettle in my room to fill up my hot water bottle at night. It might sound sad but it’s actually really cosy. I swear to god, I once went to sleep with a glass of water on my bedside table and when I woke up some of it was frozen.

“I’ve never let my parents see this place. Can you tell why?”

Beth, second year English, Wellesley Avenue

This house is home to nine students, a mix of girls and boys. If you thought a feminine influence would somehow improve the place then you’re sorely mistaken.

Absolute pig sty! And don't get us started on the smell.

Beth told us: “The floor comes with a warning – ‘always wear shoes’. You could catch anything being in here with bare feet. One of our housemates cut her foot on a piece of rock hard chicken once.”

Isn't it cosy?

Isn’t it cosy?

She added: “We used to have a coffee table but my housemate Ben divebombed it a few weeks ago. The wood is still outside actually – the boys keep saying they want to burn it.”

She points to the sagging couches and grubby carpet: “Otherwise, we all just eat on the floor or sofas. Our hoover broke ages ago so there are more crumbs than carpet at the moment. Actually, it’s just as bad as the kitchen.”

A fairly standard sight on a morning after a [W] night - comfy there, boys?

A fairly standard sight on a morning after a [W] night – comfy there, boys?

The house also features a trolley.

“It’s kind of just used as an extra seat in the lounge or it makes it a great BBQ stand. We’ve used it a couple of times for sunbathing as well. It’s got loads of uses. We’re attached to it now – might take it to our next house.”

Ideal for extreme gaming

Ideal for extreme gaming, right, Benny?

Who knew a trolley could have so many uses?

The lounge also features some artwork by a creative maintenance man.

Beth said: “If you look closely you can make out a 60 inch long penis on our ceiling, which is really nice. I think it gives the place character.”

I’ve never allowed my parents to visit the house. Now they can see why.

As a resident myself, I’ve never allowed my parents to visit the house. Now they can see why.

The bathroom may not be quite as gross as Barney’s but it could certainly do with a clean.

“We used to hate the house. Some of us would clean non-stop and get really mad about the kitchen and stuff but now we’ve just sort of given up. If anything, we just laugh it off now.

“It is a hell-hole, definitely, but as long as my room is clean I don’t really care. It wasn’t exactly pristine when we arrived anyway so it was never going to be tidy.

“We all just keep saying that ‘next year our house will be great… next year’, but we’ll just have to see. I’m pretty sure that’s what we said last time.”

Note the broken fire alarms, too!

Note the broken fire alarms, too

Is your house worse than this? Prove it. Email editor@hulltab.co.uk and invite us round.