Unlucky third year has essay mysteriously wiped from library computer

Twice

brynmor jones library deadline dissertation essay Hull University

You’ve spent hours grafting a stellar essay, sneaking coffee in to the library and nurturing your baby for weeks.

So imagine the horror when half of it gets mysteriously wiped from one of the LIBRARY computers – and how unfortunate you’d have to be to have it happen to you twice.

But that is exactly what happened to third year Law student, Tom.

With a mountain of work and deadlines looming, the sensible final year started a huge 5,000 word essay three weeks early.

He might be smiling now, but Tom said he was ready to hang someone from the seventh floor when it happened

Then, on Sunday afternoon, the worst happened.

Tom is adamant he saved his work multiple times, but when he came to tweak the last few bits the day before it was due, he found 2,500 words had been lost.

He told The Tab: “It wasn’t ideal. As you can imagine I was a bit like ‘oh shit’.

“Then it kind of felt like a mixture between a heart attack and a minor stroke.

“I knew straight away I’d have to do an all-nighter, even though I had revision to do on other topics and I needed to edit other essays.”

The BJL have an online chat service for those in need of technical help, which Tom messaged straight away.

But he was told there was little they could do for help: it was gone forever.

The incident happened twice to Tom in the library

The most wounding thing about this whole experience was Tom had lost 500 words of a different essay only four days earlier.

He added: “I was pissed off then, but the second time I wanted to flip tables.”

The assignment was due at 12 the next afternoon, and so Tom worked solidly through the night, eventually finishing at 5am after a 15 hour library stint.

Tom was told one in 1000 students computer systems are vulnerable to glitches, resulting in problems saving work.

The University IT department said: “Without having further information on the situation mentioned, it is hard to give a full and frank statement as to what might have happened resulting in the student losing their work.

“The computers in the library run the same software as all the other ‘student’ PCs around campus, in that students are required to save any work before they log off the PC otherwise any unsaved work will be lost.

“The ICT Service Desk has not been made aware of any issues with saving work from PCs in the Library, therefore it is uncertain which technical person may have suggested PCs occasionally don’t save files.

“That said, PCs do occasionally develop faults, therefore the general advice ICTD always recommends is to save your work regularly while working, rather than saving only at the end of a long piece of work.”

Tom added: “At the time I wanted to sacrifice someone over a volcano, but I’m a bit more chilled out about it now.

“They can’t have a perfect system. Every now and then, things go wrong.”