I attended Black and Gold does Strictly

The event was raising vital funds for Scottish Disability Sport

As someone who enjoys dancing but can’t dance, attending a dance competition as a spectator (and not as a competitor!) seemed a wonderful way to spend a Thursday evening. Glasgow University Sports Association was hosting an event I had never been to before, “Black and Gold does Strictly”, where those from various sports teams danced against one another. The Surf Team, the Trampoline Club, the Sailing Club… All sorts of teams from across the university were there.

To begin with, we had a speech from Scottish Disability Sport. The lady told us of the importance of SDS, with proceeds from the event going towards the charity.

Then, our hosts introduced us to GDSC, who started off the show in a truly fantastic way, hip hop style dancing to songs such as Nelly Furtado’s Promiscuous.

And then, of course, it was time for our competitors.

The Fencing Club feat. swords

The first couple were from the Surf Club. Their dance to Livin’ La Vida Loca helped give the event such a joyous atmosphere, everyone clapping and cheering along. Next the Trampoline Club danced to Cabaret, then Sailing Club gave us another Shrek tune, Holding Out For A Hero. The final dance of the first act was from Hares and Hounds, a Gatsby-esque dance that surely stole the show during the first act.

Next GSDC Jazz performed for us, a Lady Gaga mix that took us all back to our childhoods when such songs were played constantly. (Though I’ll be honest, I’m not much of an LG fan.)

After a twenty minute break, we were back to our performers. The Fencing Club did an original dance to I Will Survive (featuring swords!) to the delight of our audience. Squash Club, too, were highly creative in their routine, dancing to a song with a name that escapes me. Then our final dance of the night was from the Swimming and Waterpolo Club, a fun jig to You Can’t Stop the Beat.

Throughout the night, the sports teams helped to create such a vibrant atmosphere – and what made it even better was that all the proceeds were for such an important charity.

The Squash Club during their routine

After a raffle (where, alas, I was one number away from winning a prize!), the champions were announced.

Surf placed third, Trampoline second and the overall winners of the night… Hares and Hounds!

It was a well-deserved win, with their Charleston routine proving to be one of the more memorable ones. Certainly ruling the 2020s with their 1920s style dance!

For those interested in finding out more about the charity Scottish Disability Sport and how to volunteer for them, do take a look here.

Related stories recommended by this author: