‘A bit ridiculous’: 67 per cent of students who tried for Daft Friday tickets were unsuccessful

‘I went through a lot of emotions’

Obtaining tickets to the 113th Daft Friday is just the same process as trying to get tickets to any concert or festival that is highly popular – so much of it is down to speed – and luck.

This year, as The Tab reported,  the procedure for getting a ticket was slightly different to the tradition of waiting in a queue.

Instead, students had two options on the evening of Monday the 7th of November 2022. Either try buying tickets online or attend the Ticket Code launch party at the Glasgow University Union (GUU).

The party was packed; everyone was desperate to get a ticket to the famed event, now in its 113th year. Just after 10.30pm, the code was announced: thus began the frantic quest to secure a ticket.

Of those who tried for a ticket, either online or at the party, a whopping 67 per cent were unsuccessful in their conquest. Meanwhile, only 33 per cent of students were lucky.

Interestingly, 37 per cent managed to get their tickets through the launch party, whereas most (63 per cent) got their tickets through buying them online.

The Tab Glasgow caught up with students on their thoughts on this particular matter.

Martin, studying physics and astrophysics, said: “I went to the promo code party, tried to type quickly, failed and became my friend’s plus one.”

“I went through a lot of emotions, from just so much stress (enough that I actually shook uncontrollably) to type quickly, to despair that I didn’t make it, to joyful relief my friend sitting next to me got two tickets and allowed me to become his +1.”

R. Blake, a history student, said: “I was extremely pleased that I got tickets, especially given both my flatmates got one for being on the committee at the union and so it now means we can all go together. Sitting in my kitchen hitting refresh for half an hour certainly beat camping overnight at the union. No complaints from me.”

Other students were less lucky and we asked them how they about not being able to get a ticket.

Emily, a third year classics student, said: “This is the second year I couldn’t get tickets because of either the queue, or the tickets selling out so quickly. It’s a bit ridiculous. It’s like some of us never even had a chance? It’s a bit of a downer, such a big event and now I can literally only try one more time before I graduate, whilst first and second years are going…”

Leonie, studying politics, said: “I wanted to get tickets for me and my flatmate but they were all sold out ten mins after they released. Kind of upset but I guess there will always be another Daft Friday.”

Computing science student Arif, whilst not being able to buy a ticket, wasn’t too disappointed. He said: “I didn’t feel that bad to be honest due to the prices. I don’t want to pay £45 for anything.”

Related stories recommended by this author: