The weird and wonderful societies you should join this year

Apparently the Shrek Society was set up as a joke

Another academic year, the chance to start something new. We’ve collected a list of some of the coolest societies we’ve found out about at the University of Glasgow. Scroll through to see some of our favourites!

Students of a Jane Austen Persuasion

Instagram: @gujaneaustensociety

Tea crawls, book discussions, stately home visits… The perfect society for any Jane Austen fan! In past years the society has even attended the Jane Austen Festival in Bath, an event where you can attend masked balls in full regency costume. And if you’re very lucky, you might even meet your Mr Darcy at this society…

For more information join the Facebook group Students of a Jane Austen Persuasion.

Glasgow University Environmental Sustainability Team (GUEST)

Instagram: @uofgguest

In the run up to COP26, there seem to be more environmental societies on campus this year. GUEST also runs a GUEST Gardeners group, a chance to help out in the vegetable and wildlife gardens on the Gilmorehill campus.

For more information join Glasgow University Environmental Sustainability Team and GUEST Gardeners on Facebook.

Glasgow University Fashion Revolution (GUFR)

Instagram: @gufr

Interested in learning of the impact the fashion industry has on the environment? Then look no further! Join this society to learn everything you can about how to make your wardrobe more sustainable.

For more information check out @gufr on Instagram.

Glasgow University Student Television (GUST)

Instagram: @gustglasgow

Established in 1964, GUST is the world’s oldest student television station. With them you’ll be given the chance to take on all sorts of roles within the television studio whether that be behind camera or on screen. And every year the society attends NASTA, a glitzy television awards ceremony held in England.

For more information find GUST on Facebook.

Glasgow Uni Skydive Club

Instagram: @guskydivingclub

Skydiving is probably something you’ve never tried before, so join this society if keen to discover a new interest!

For more information check out @guskydivingclub on Instagram.

Scottish Country Dance Club

Instagram: @guscdc

Ceilidhs are popular at Glasgow University and in normal circumstances they happen on a regular basis. Despite coronavirus, this society was still able to function during lockdown – they held virtual ceilidhs on Zoom!

For more information check out @guscdc on Instagram.

GU Ice Skating

Instagram: @guiceskating

Ice-skating isn’t just for winter… Join this society to skate year round and learn new moves on the ice!

For more information check out @guiceskating on Instagram.

Shrek Society

Facebook: Glasgow University Shrek Society

Set up entirely as a joke two years ago, this society is still going strong. Join them for Shrek quizzes and scavenger hunts every so often.

For more information check out Glasgow University Shrek Society on Facebook.

Glasgow Uni Beekeeping Society

Instagram: @gubks

Love bees? Then this is the society for you! Join them to learn everything there is to know about beekeeping.

For more information check out @gubks on Instagram.

We’ve only selected a handful of the many exciting societies we have here at the University of Glasgow. If you missed out on the Freshers Fayre, Facebook and Instagram are the best places to look for new societies to join!