Jewish Glasgow Uni student told to ‘go gas herself’ in antisemitic tweet

The former JSoc president had previously been called a ‘dirty jew’

A Jewish student at Glasgow University was told to “go gas herself” after she tweeted: “Let’s not be antisemitic.”

Former president of Glasgow Jewish Society Lucinda Bathie is no stranger to antisemitic abuse having previously been called a “dirty Jew” and pelted with avocados because she was wearing a Star of David necklace.

“My friends and I remove anything that makes us visibly Jewish,” Lucinda told The Times. “These are longstanding attitudes, but they have become worse in recent weeks.”

A Glasgow University spokesperson said: “The university will not tolerate antisemitism or any form of racism or racial discrimination on campus.

“Every student has the right to feel safe on campus and the university recently published a comprehensive action plan to tackle racism and racial harassment as part of its effort to address racial inequality.”

Universities across the UK are reporting a rise in antisemitic incidents linked to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which has now entered a ceasefire.

Students from the University of Leeds and the University of Birmingham, among others, were added to an Instagram group chat on which they were subject to antisemitic abuse.

The Jewish girls added to the chat didn’t respond to any of the messages, so one boy wrote: “Did they all die in an attack?” Another asked: “Why there bare Jews in the chat?” The same boy added: “I love me some oppressor pussy.”

At UCL, one Jewish UCL student was sent a death threat which included a photoshopped picture of her under a guillotine, while at Royal Holloway, someone stuck a sticker on a building of the Israel flag with a swastika on it.

A spokesperson for the Union of jewish students said: “UJS is disgusted that Jewish students and societies are being targeted with antisemitic abuse. Antisemitism is never the answer to increased hostilities in the Middle East and Jewish students must not be held to account for this.”

A spokesperson for NUS said: “We are deeply appalled to hear of a spike in antisemitism on campuses. We unequivocally condemn the antisemitic abuse being directed towards Jewish students and Jewish communities around the world.”

If there are any Jewish students in need of support, please contact UJS on 0207 4243288 or email [email protected]. To report an antisemitic attack, call CST at their 24 hour number 0800 032 3263

If you or someone you know has experienced antisemitism at university, drop an email to [email protected]

Featured Image: Credit: Kevin Manion / Shutterstock