Glasgow University cancels graduation 2021

It will be replaced with a series of ‘online celebratory events’

Glasgow University announced today that this years summer graduation ceremonies will not take place in their usual form, due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation.

In the announcement sent out to students,Professor Jill Morrison, Clerk of Senate and Vice Principal  said that “Unfortunately, there is still no certainty that we will be able to hold large gatherings from the 23 June when our first ceremony is scheduled. There are normally around 1200 people in the Bute Hall for each graduation ceremony and physical distancing is not possible.”

The University had held off on making any decisions until they had further information from the Scottish Government, but made the announcement today due to a number of enquiries from students.

The University is currently planning a “series of online celebratory events” instead, but notes that they may be able to have some aspects on campus, following guidance from the Scottish government. They also announced that students have the opportunity to return to campus for a ceremony at a future date.