‘He was full of light’: A third year Glasgow University student has died

Calvin Donnelly was studying Biochemistry

A third year Biochemistry student described as “tender-hearted, always giving, fun-loving and funny” has died.

Calvin Donnelly’s death was announced by his old rugby club, Portobello RFC in Edinburgh, on the 20th October.

The club said: “It is with great sadness we inform you of the death of Calvin Donelly, Calvin was a Porty mini player before becoming captain of the senior XV at PHS. Calvin returned from Glasgow Uni to play for the club last season. Our thoughts are with his family at this most difficult time.”

In tribute to Calvin, on the 3rd November his mother Ruth shared the speech she gave at his funeral. The speech read: “There are no words. That’s a sentence we’ve heard over and over again these last two weeks as people try to come to terms with the shock, grief, and unutterable pain at the loss of our very precious Calvin.

“And it’s true. There are no words to adequately describe the depth of pain and grief we feel at his loss. But there are words to describe Calvin.”

She goes on to call the Glasgow University student, her son, “kind, gentle, loving, affectionate” and an “amazing man.” Other tributes from family and friends call Calvin “kind, gentle and compassionate” with the “warmest smile”.

If you wish to donate to Calvin’s memorial page, you can do so here.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably, for men aged 15 to 35) on 0800 58 58 58.

You matter.