Glasgow cancels offer-holders’ day after three confirmed Covid-19 cases

It is unknown whether the three are staff or students

The University of Glasgow has decided to cancel an offer-holders’ day after three members of the community tested positive for Covid-19.

In a Twitter post, the University said they would be holding a “virtual event” in April where presentations and materials would be accessible online.

In an email sent out to students, the University said the diagnosed people were self-isolating after they tested positive for the virus.

This comes after the University decided to suspend all face-to-face teaching and to allow students to take exams scheduled for April and May remotely.

It has not been confirmed whether the three are staff, students or a combination of the two.

The University has advised that some conferences will be cancelled due to the pandemic.

The full statement reads: “We want to advise you that 3 individuals have tested positive for COVID-19 & all 3 are self-isolating.

“Guidance from health officials is that cases like these are to be expected given the outbreak.

“Confirmation of positive results is entirely to be expected as the pandemic evolves. We’re working closely with Health Protection Scotland & will remain open – though, face-to-face teaching will cease from Mon 16 March.

“As a precautionary measure, we are in touch with Glasgow University Student Representative’s Council, the student unions and others across our campuses to discuss postponing events such as conferences. Some of these have already been cancelled.

“We would like to reassure you that we are taking all precautions & in contact with Health Protection Scotland. We’ll continue to monitor the situation closely & provide regular updates as soon as we can. Please bear with us as we work through everything.”