Image may contain: Downtown, Housing, Town, City, Convention Center, Urban, Architecture, Office Building, Building

Anti-abortion stall removed from Freshers’ fair at University of Strathclyde

The SU deemed the material too graphic

A pro-life society was forced to remove their stall from the University of Strathclyde Freshers Fair.

Material used by Strathcylde Students for Life Society included anti-abortion posters, leaflets and bookmarks.

The material deemed "too graphic" by the university Students' Union included a logo of a foetus. The Union has argued that the stall breached their safe-space policy.

Union officials recently introduced a new policy, in which all societies now have to adhere to pro-choice rules.

There was a ban by the university's Student Association on anti-abortion groups, meaning they would not be able to access Union funding. The ban was lifted last year due to the threat of court action.

Catherine Deighan, the society's president, told The Times: "We have been entirely discriminated against the censored.

"Receiving that policy was very intimidating, given that we recognised the names of those who had approved it and they are extremely hostile to our view."

The Union officials have rejected accusations of censorship, they also told The Times the stall was removed after a "civil conversation."

One student association official said: "Strathclyde Students for Life is a newly affiliated society and we are working with the group to translate current union policies into operational practices for their society.

"The union is a safe space for all students and Strathclyde Students for Life were asked to abide by the same of freshers ground rules as all other societies."

"The Union asked the society not to display a few graphic images; however, the society was not asked to take down the stall.

"Strathclyde Students for Life are welcome to challenge policies and submit their own to keep the democratic processes active."