Image may contain: Architecture, Concrete, Building, Handrail, Banister

Glasgow student sentenced to prison for sexually assaulting a woman

The woman said she felt the attack ‘lasted forever’

A Glasgow University student has been sentenced to four years in prison for sexually assaulting a woman he met on a night out.

Abdul Lawal, a 40-year-old studying for a PhD in Rocket Science, was convicted of repeatedly raping a 26-year-old woman in his flat on the 11th of March 2018.

The victim told the court she felt the attack lasted "forever," and had texted a friend during the ordeal to say: "I got raped."

She then left the house, and was picked up by an ex-partner, who told the court: "I've never seen her so distressed."

Abdul, a father-of-two and a former officer in the Nigerian Navy, denied the accusation in court, and maintained he acted "like a gentleman." He claimed the victim consented to sex with him three times.

He told the court the victim was lying, and she "regretted" having sex with him. The jury did not believe him.

The victim told the court she "felt sick" at the prospect of coming to court, but wanted to make sure Abdul would not have the opportunity to assault another woman.

Abdul has now been placed on the sex offenders' register.

The judge told Lawal: "The jury convicted you of a very serious crime.

"What you did had an effect on the woman involved.

"Once the pair of you were alone in the living room, you subjected that woman to a sustained and serious attack.

“You are an educated man and a former officer in the Nigerian Navy. This situation has been brought about by your own actions."

The defence lawyer told the court: "Mr Lawal continues to protest his innocence. He claims this woman left her date to walk with him."