Image may contain: Girl, Tourist, Teen, Female, Jacket, Coat, Vacation, People, Denim, Jeans, Pants, Human, Face, Smile, Person, Apparel, Clothing

GUCFS to hold homelessness fundraiser overnight in Glasgow Uni cloisters

The event is in aid of the Simon Community Scotland

The Glasgow University Fashion Show (GUCFS) will be holding an event to raise funds and awareness about homelessness in Scotland this Friday 25th January.

The event is called Stay Warm/Stay Safe in recognition of the society's selected charity partner this year, Simon Community Scotland. From 8am to 8pm, student volunteers will gather in the cloisters to take part in a range of charity activities including karaoke and Zumba.

Many local businesses and university organisations have pledged to get involved, with rumoured surprise appearances from Pret, Domino's and Greggs, to name a few.

Image may contain: Menu, Text

The events that will be taking place throughout the night

All proceeds will go to the Simon Community Scotland, who have recently launched a campaign by the same name. Their #StayWarmStaySafe campaign aims to help homeless people in Scotland during harsh wintery conditions by raising awareness about the dangerous signs of hypothermia. Symptoms include shivering, cold and pale skin and fast breathing as well as extreme tiredness.

Tickets for the Stay Warm/ Stay Safe event cost £12 for GUCFS members and £15 for non-members and all profits will go towards Simon Community Scotland to add to the GUCFS overall donation. The ticket includes entry to the event, a Stay Warm/Stay Safe T shirt, your donation to the charity, as well as unlimited access to all of the food and entertainment that will be provided throughout the night.

The overnight event will take place from 8pm-8am in the iconic, fairy-tale setting of the Glasgow University Cloisters in the main building. The event promises to be worthwhile, educational and enjoyable, with an array of entertainment, food and movies on offer. This includes sessions from Glasgow University Union Entertainments open mic, karaoke and a Zumba class.

Image may contain: Column, Pillar, Aisle, Altar, Church, Flooring, Building, Architecture, Indoors, Crypt, Corridor

The cloisters where the sleep out will take place

Students are encouraged to bring along a sleeping bag, warm jumpers and hats, scarves and gloves. Although a far cry from the conditions experienced by people all over Scotland, the event hopes to give participants some increased awareness into the harsh realities of homelessness.

The Glasgow University Charity Fashion Show will take place on the 23rd February in SWG3, and is the main fundraiser for the charity. First and second release tickets sold out quickly, and further releases are planned. For the past few years the show has been one of the biggest events of the Glasgow University calendar.

You can buy tickets for Friday's #StayWarmStaySafe event here.