Image may contain: Worship, Church, Cathedral, Clock Tower, Tower, Building, Bell Tower, Architecture

Feeling the pressure at University?

5 places to go to if you’re struggling at Glasgow Uni

Starting a new term is always a daunting task, whether you're new to university or an old hat returning to the joy that is academic life. The pressure of deadlines as well as trying to enjoy yourself at what you've been told is The Defining Experience Of Your Life can be tricky, especially if you already struggle with anxiety, depression or other health problems that can make an already difficult situation worse. At the University of Glasgow there several places you can go to for support or help; here are 5 accessible places you can go to.

1: Living Support: If you're living in uni accommodation, living support can be the first port of call if you're finding things a bit difficult. They are current students and know what it is like to be at uni, they are approachable and they are the out-of-hours support for any situations that arise whilst you are living there. They are fully trained and are meant to be there to help you emotionally as well as being there for all the everyday issues that can come up.

2: GU Positive Minds: Glasgow University Positive Minds is a society that was founded in 2016 to be an accessible support to students, led by peers. Their aim is to improve student wellbeing and mental health through a support network and monthly events. If this sounds like something that would be a help, you can contact them through their email: [email protected]. They can also be contacted on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/gupositiveminds/

3: Counselling Services: The university has a counselling service that is dedicated to helping students who suffer from mental health issues or are generally just needing a bit of support. Their page (accessible through the university website) is really handy as it contains tips on how to cope, links to educational resources and services (such as how to handle seminars), numbers you can call if you want to talk to someone (Nightline for example) and a referral service which descibes what counsellors are for. They also provide the form that you can fill out for self-referral. They offer a drop-in consultation service every day where they offer roughly four sessions on a first-come-first-served basis which can be really useful.

Image may contain: Map, Diagram

The marker is where the counselling and disability services are, they are two separate buildings on Southpark Avenue.

4: Disability Services: If you suffer from a mental health condition it can be worth talking to the Disability Service to see what support the university can give you, whether that is specific exam arrangements, resources to help you in lectures or arranging for you to see a Mental Health Advisor. Even if you are not sure if you would be able to recieve support from them, they are happy for you to enquire and if you are eligible, the support you recieve can make a big difference to your uni experience.

5: Campus and Union Events: Throughout the year, the SRC and the unions provide lots of events to try and help students de-stress, whilst trying to promote a postive atmosphere for students around the university. Past events include Paws For Stress (petting very cute dogs), yoga sessions, tea-stress events as well chill-out zones during the exam periods. These are a great way to get support or to have a chill time, especially if you feel that you need a little help for the times when things hit you a bit hard. These will pop up on Facebook, particularly closer to exam time, or if you want more information take a look at the SRC or unions websites.

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure

https://www.facebook.com/events/1827901927422787/

Of course, if you are having a really difficult time, or you know someone who is, talking to people around you or seeing a GP can make a massive difference. Here are some services that you can contact if you need to talk to someone:

Anxiety UK: 03444 775 774 (Mon-Fri, 9.30am-5.30pm)

No Panic: 0844 967 4848 (daily, 10am-10pm)

OCD Action: 0845 390 6232 (Mon-Fri, 9.30am-5pm)

PAPYRUS: 0800 068 4141 (Mon-Fri,10am-5pm & 7-10pm. Weekends 2-5pm)

Nightline: 0141 334 9516 (daily in termtime, 7pm-7am)

Samaritans: 116 123 (free 24-hour helpline)