A Glasgow student has died in Cairncross halls

Our deepest condolences to everybody affected

Tributes are being paid to a first year Physics and Astronomy student at Glasgow who tragically died this morning at Cairncross House halls.

It has been reported that he was suffering from flu-like symptoms last night, and after a friend tried to contact him and failed, he was found by staff in his bedroom this morning.

An unofficial press statement from the University has said the circumstances are not suspicious but they are unexplained and there were no signs that indicated he had committed suicide. It is speculated that he passed away in his sleep and may have had meningitis but this is yet to be confirmed.

Credit: Glasgow Uni Photo

Emergency crews were called to the scene this morning to handle the situation and students living with the student and on his course were informed this afternoon. An email sent to all Physics students stated that his parents have been informed. The email also read: “I’m very sorry to bring you the sad news of the death of one of our students in the Physics 1 and Astronomy 1 classes.

“The School has just been informed of [the student’s] death by the University Chaplain, Rev Stuart MacQuarrie; Stuart has advised that [the student’s] parents have been informed and asked that I pass on this sad news to [the student’s] classmates.
“I appreciate that [the student] will have been known to many of you, and that this news will come as a great shock.”
There is a melancholy feeling throughout the Cairncross residence today, and everyone’s thoughts are with the student and his family. If anyone knows this student personally, or is otherwise affected by this news, there are grief counsellors available through the University of Glasgow website, as well as information on self help. Alternatively, Samaritans offer a 24/7 helpline for those in need of an immediate response at 116 123.
The Tab Glasgow would once again like to send our condolences to the student’s family, friends and anybody else affected at this sad time.