It’s time we talked about how good Bread Meats Bread is

Literal burger heaven

Glasgow is famous for an assortment of burger places, but The Tab Glasgow has decided that one of them takes the crown.

The chain goes by the name Bread Meats Bread.

Even without the insanely tasty food, the pun in the name screams: “Eat here if you want good food, good chat and just an all-round chilled restaurant experience.” It’s catchy, it’s cool and it’s modern. Move over Handmade Burger Co. that’s what we say.

Testing out the local burger joint

We tested out the new branch at 701 Great Western Road, just off Kersland Street. The area is rife with students as it’s so close to Glasgow Uni, so whoever thought about placing a burger joint there had an absolute brainwave. It’s only been open a few weeks but is already very popular with local students and foodies from all over the city.

The architecture of the restaurant itself is notable. It has huge, light windows which presents it with a spacious feel – there’s nothing worse than a cramped restaurant. The positioning of the comfy, yellow booths mean that even at its busiest the branch isn’t too loud to hold a conversation with your friends. It’s all about the little finishing touches like the big “BMB” lighting rig or the wooden food trays stuck to the walls. It’s American diner-esque but classier.

It has a real classy feel

Immediately, we were greeted by friendly and enthusiastic staff. They checked up on us a few times throughout our meal, making sure everything was up to scratch and even explaining some aspects of the menu to us when we were unsure. This is always handy when you’re indecisive like we are.

The menu is incredibly extensive. Everything sounds mouth-wateringly good. They even tailor some of their burger names according to the location of the restaurant – one of us got the “Great Western Wolf” which is called “The Wolf of St Vincent Street” at the St Vincent Street branch in the city centre.

The yellow booths are comfy and cool

It really is a wolf of a burger. They take a thick patty and add loads, and we mean loads, of BBQ pulled pork. To top it all off they add what can only described as the most sensational American cheese ever drizzled all over it. The pulled pork had a melt-in-the-mouth sensation it was so tender, and, alongside the patty, the crispy bacon, the crispy fried onions and the special ‘Nduja mayo, it took all the willpower in the world not to wolf it down in one go. Pun intended. At £10 you definitely get your money’s worth.

Just look at that burger-y goodness

I got the Royale Cheese – it’s made up of two patties with a load of American cheese, pickles, a secret sauce and basically of that good stuff you’d expect to find in an American-style burger. The patties were cooked to perfection – incredibly juicy, not overdone and the perfect amount of thin. The actual burger bun is soft yet not soggy. Everything about this dish said “good quality”. It’s priced at £8.50.

The Royale Cheese – fit for a king

So happy

To share, we got the Buffalo Fries, and – no word of a lie – these were the best burger joint fries we’d ever tasted. They came with a hot buffalo sauce on the side, and were loaded with blue cheese mayo and crispy fried onions. The different textures of the onions and the fries complimented each other perfectly. The fries are skinny and just what you’d expect from a place that makes such class-A burgers. They were priced at £3.50 for a large bowl.

A perfect amount of cheese

We really wanted to try the famous milkshakes but were so full that we had to, albeit reluctantly, disagree. However, after that out-of-this-world culinary experience we know we’ll be back for more in no time.